• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Domed Patchbox Learnings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverprint

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I am building my first rifle and of course I decided to go with a domed patchbox. I researched and struggled to find out how to finish the end so I'm sharing my learnings in this post (and maybe this is how you all do it anyway so this may NOT be new to you) but this happy accident worked out pretty slick. So maybe this will help others like me! Enjoy.
Patchbox prior to cut.jpg

So in the first picture you can see the patchbox in its full length. I trimmed the end to about +1/8" to maybe even 1/4" long but wondered how I will get this to match and blend with the butt plate. I traced and cut a piece of brass for the end closure but was really struggling to get it to hold in position for solder with a metal clamp. So I just started filing the patchbox dome in place...filing in a down direction. Filing and filing I started to notice a thin lip forming.
Lip and position pre-solder.jpg

I filed the lip down to within about 1/32" of its final position blending with the butt plate - the lip allowed the brass insert to rest perfectly in position.
Prefit Prior to Solder.jpg

Fluxed the end and heated and soldered using regular plumbers solder. Here you can see the interior and exterior rough view - the lip worked perfectly. Held the piece and allowed for a solid solder job.
Solder interior view.jpg

Attachments

• Soldered End.jpg
    Soldered End.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 37
So in the first picture you can see the patchbox in its full length. I trimmed the end to about +1/8" to maybe even 1/4" long but wondered how I will get this to match and blend with the butt plate. I traced and cut a piece of brass for the end closure but was really struggling to get it to hold in position for solder with a metal clamp. So I just started filing the patchbox dome in place...filing in a down direction. Filing and filing I started to notice a thin lip forming. View attachment 126079

Attachments

• Lip from Filing.jpg
    Lip from Filing.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 32
What am I going to say? I am going to tell you that you did perfect and you can pat yourself on the back, thank you for the great pictures.

Back