• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Doe Down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
small doe down.
.54 renegade.
80grs goex ff
224 gr ball
30 yard shot. got into my stand at 4:25, put on my face mask and capped the rifle.
looked to my left and there stands a doe.
bam-broke the back.i wasn't on stand two minutes and shot that deer.
it must have been bedded down. i hunt in a marsh so grass was high.ain't the biiest i ever shot but-got meat.ball took out the back bone and sailed to where ever.good size hole in and out.
my boy would have shot this deer but he has the flu so had to stay in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go! Don't worry about the size. Like you said, you got the meat in the freezer. :thumbsup:

Grats on filling the freezer. :hatsoff:
And you didn't even have time to get cold.

I had a similar experience several years ago. I got to my tree and loaded my 1861 springfield. I used the military load in the gun. 60 grains of powder and a home cast minieball. As soon as I climbed up into the tree and leaned back, a big 8 pointer walked out. That huge lead slug put him on the ground. My hunt lasted less than 2 minutes.

Congrats. I finished opening day too, and it is kind of a let down in a way, but the meat will be great.

That's awsome, my hunts have been running real late with the deer moving right at dark, I set up this great new stand recently and have an average of 18 deer a day set the camera off about half of them bucks and wouldn't you know it I woke up in the middle of the night barfing, the friggin flu. I'm still going out this evening, even if I have to bring a bucket.

Back