• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do Not Purchase Lyman Products!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lopsided balls, lopsided barrels, lop-compensating patches (not to be loaded on the wrong side!)...I have learned more about muzzleloading on this thread than in all the time since I joined this Forum! :haha:
Now, I'm going to have to experiment with putting lumps in my patch lube....

I have had mixed experiences with Lyman. If it's something they have in stock, I've found service to be good and reliable. If it's not, then the wait can be unacceptable. I tried to order the peep sight for my Deerstalker and after 5 months cancelled the order. The polite lady on the phone said that it was one small piece that they were waiting for to complete the assembly. I told her that my deer was already in the freezer so apparently my current sights were working just fine :wink:

I agree that just about everything is slipping in quality these days. I call it the Walmart mentality. People would rather buy something 40% cheaper and replace it after a year than pay more for quality and have it last 5-10 years or more. It's the dumbest thing I ever saw but the morons think they're getting a good deal.

Everyone has been brainwashed to think that they always have to have the "newest" thing. Old Faithful doesn't get any respect anymore. :(

I finally received the mould. However they stiffed me on the shipping cost they said they would reimburse.I wont bother calling about that. Ill just count that as a loss/learning experience.

2571 said:
Got a Lyman ball mold laying on the computer desk.

No diameter size markings on it. Just some gibberish that would only make sense to Lyman.

Maybe it's from the Lyman Custom Shop, like the lopsided mold referred to earlier.

I would consider that an anomoly. Every ball mould I recall looking at on a Gun Show table or even the photos on eBay have diameter on them and I have been looking for a very long time. The brass suppository bullet moulds have a diameter that they are to be sized to as the first numbers of the part number. Like 457193, or 454190 etc. The cartridge bullet moulds may cast several thou over but they are designed to be sized.
But ANYTHING is possible. Like the one that the OP has that is mismarked or ones that are "off". How this is done I don't know but anyone can screw up a machine setup. Or the iron warped when first heated.
However,I should also know NOT to state "all" its never "all", its "most" or "virtually all" or I guess "normally" would be a better description.
Still if you look on eBay for RB moulds all the ones with the proper photographs that I have seen :grin: have the size stamped on them.

Dan

The T/C moulds that were made (by other manufacturers) were made without ball diameter or makings that would give a clue as to what they are. I have several with none. They do look like Lyman moulds and could have been made by them. They have a # on them but it is just a # to identify the two halves to keep them together. As far as I know though they are made of aluminum but a good grade of aluminum and are anodized. They function the same as Lyman moulds and even the Lyman handles fit them.

My early 1920's Marlin-Ideal catalog lists several molds for round balls, all having stock numbers with the first three numbers being the diameter. The mold numbers did not always have three numbers after the diameter, but sometimes, two or even one. Lyman acquired the Ideal company assets from Marlin some years later and has pretty much continued the same mold designations, although I am fairly certain that I have encountered some Lyman molds that did not follow that system. On checking the Lyman listings today, round ball molds have stock numbers that now end with the three digit diameter.

At the Lancaster Muzzle loading Assn a few weeks ago, I saw too many molds of all makes on which the number had no bearing on the size.

BTW, I had only one problems with Lyman products over many years. On another occasion, I wrote and suggested that they also produce a flint plains pistol to sell to us here in PA where we have a three week flint only season.

I never received any response or acknowledgment of my complaint or suggestion from Lyman.

The mere lack of response caused me to wonder about how seriously they take customer service and how little they value their public image. When i worked at a sporting goods chain, every person that entered or called was an opportunity to market the products whether that day or if the customer had a good experience even without buying that day, for good will in the future.

It isn't just Lyman. A few years ago, I called Traditions' customer service to order a part, dozens of times before I even got a human being on the phone. Messages left were never returned. Even locally, a few years ago, I wanted to have an addition built. I called at least 12 contractors. Only three returned my call and of those only two showed up to meet and give an estimate. The guy that acted like he wanted the work was given the contract, even though he was slightly higher. I don't understand business people today.

I buy old used Lyman's when I can, but 90% of my mould buying is from custom shops in brass. Given inflation, they cost less than i paid for my first Lyman. Downside is that I wait a year or more for some, but they are flawless and much easier to use than iron blocks. A Google search for "boolitits" will lead you down the path...

i received a collarbutton mold last week from lyman. the handle slots are so bad they are laughable. a fair amount of file work got them working. the inside looks fine. no, i didnt call the factory i made them work.

Latest posts

Back