• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY from scratch ... possible? References?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there! Long time ...
I have searched around, got a couple of books and plans, told dad I'll use his/our lathe and spent some money in a very nice piece of wood ...

Sorry ... got another question: where can I find references about building locks?

And about skill and stuff ... I'm learning and I have a limited budget, but I'm improving well!!

Per your question about "finding information about building Locks." Perhaps the books/pamphlets "Craft and Practice" by Kit Raenshear or "Selected Muzzleloading Gun Lock Patterns" by Bill Newton might be to you liking.
Both about $5 from Track of the Wolf. But if your
a novice just getting started in this Black Powder Muzzle Loading stuff...Check out building
a MatchLock first. Simple tooling (Hack saw, file, hand drill, a couple taps for screws threads) can accomplish the job. Check out Research this forum under Matchlocks, a good source to start with. I have googled patterns for matchlocks that might be worth some time spent on the PC. A DIY Matchlock will give you a good idea or what your getting into before you possibly bite off more than you can chew on a first time build of a a FlintLock-LOCK.

Aldebaran, May the Force be with you. Making a lock from scratch is easily enough accomplished, but getting the geometry correct is the killer. I would suggest that you copy a lock like a Siler for your first attempt. Hell, that's what most of the lock companies did and that's how the Siler became a "standard"--by default. Look into volume 1 of the NMLRA's arms making journals for patterns and info. Good luck to you. Bookie

Yeah ... I got the Newton's one, but there isn't the lock I'm looking for! I got an idea about how to do it, but lots of questions without answers. I have to research another bit...

Meanwhile I'm thinking about the lock, another point should be considered: the barrel!
Is there someone who did his barrels from a seamless steel pipe?

Check with your local library on a inter
library loan and see if they can find this book or go to :[url] Amazon.com[/url]: How to Build Your Own Flintlock Rifle or Pistol: Books: George Lauber This is a helpful book on building flintlocks and pistols. ...[url] www.amazon.com/[/url] Build-Your-Flintlock-Rifle-Pistol/dp/0891490035 - 161k -
This give step by directions as well as detailed layouts for making the lock plate, springs etc.

Also try[url] Airpartsinc.com[/url] for seamless 4130 tubeing. I have used one for a UH fowler I built works out to be a 15 ga. they also have smaller sizes as well one is about.437 id and .75 od

Last edited by a moderator:
Back