• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie's English Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol Red

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Received a dozen of Dixie Gun Works 3/4" "English Flints" today and had a question or two about quality.

I'd ordered 5/8" and 3/4" from Cain's three weeks ago but they were out of stock on the 3/4", so I tried Dixie.

Compared to the genuine Fuller flints from Cain's these are pretty sad. Sure they'll work, but just how much inconsistancy should you expect?
DixieFlints.jpg
[/img]

Another thing I noticed was that the underside of the front edge on most have been knapped on the underside of the bevel like they've been used already.

Since I've just started in flintlocks this is the first "real" flints I've examined and was just wondering if this is about what I can expect.

Thanks in advance.

Well, they don't look like English flint, those are sort of an all over greasy black color. The edges are usually close to razor sharp. Don't know that I have seen flints with this much color before.

The proof is in the shooting. If you can get 25 to 30 reliable shots out of one flint without too much knapping they should be OK. If you can get 50 shots then I may have to buy some of these flints myself.

Let us know how they do. Even a bad flint is better than no flint. I know a shooter that killed a deer using kitchen matches instead of a flint when he found that his flint had fallen out of the cock. Don't know that I would want to have to do that for a 40 shot match though.

Many Klatch

IMO, those are sorry quality looking flints...not even sure I'd say they're Tom Fuller black English flints

Roundball;

"I" thought they were pretty sorry looking when I opened the package. I didn't open the5/8" Fuller flints since they were for a buddy, but at a glance even _I_ could tell a HUGE difference in quality. Should get a closer look tomorrow.

At least Dixie didn't advertise these as Tom Fuller flints, only "English Flints".

Just tried one of the smaller, 3/4" X 3/4" in my Hawken and it does make a good quantity of nice bright white/yellow sparks. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to try them out for real.

I use the 1 inch dixie english flints, They usually come in a variety of sizes and what not.

Some may even be nearly unuseable little dull bricks that need a bunch of rework, I find most can be used and they hold up well in my military muskets.

Rob

Every pack of Dixie flints I ever got were GARBAGE. I have been using T.O.W.s and they are much, much better quality. The ones I got from Dixie only have 3 or 4 useable flints per dozen.

red,
Know your flinter and "Let the Buyer Beware"!
I personaly trust Rich Pierse and his flints.
Just my opinion.
snake-eyes:hmm:

Pretty is as pretty does in my book. Just see how they spark and hold up. Appearance means little when it comes to gun flints. It seems by what we have in recovered flints from back in the day (kegs recovered from ship wrecks, etc) that yesterday's flints were not as pretty or regular as Tom Fuller's tended to be.

Those Dixie flints look English by color, and treatises on flints indicate that depending on how close to the surface the English flint is mined, the grain quality changes, as does color to some extent.

We have to distinguish what is meant by "English flints"--that term can mean (1)flint mined in England, (2)flint knapped in England, and (3) flint knapped in the English style--or all three. Those looked like English mined flints and in general knapped in the English style--by whom I do not know, but the quality is obviously variable and a couple are poorly done--probably fixable and usable, however...

It would be interesting to know from anyone else including the suppliers if these are indeed what is coming out of the new TF setup. I did hear a report last week that English flints aint what they used to be.

Saw Rich Pierce's name mentioned and just wanted to add my input. I have bought at least four dozen flints from him so far and have been consistently pleased with both the quality, and especially, the price. :thumbsup:

I e-mailed Rich earlier in the week and got a reply the next AM. Ordered 2 doz and am just waiting for him to invoice me. Looking forward to trying his flints.

My last order from TOW a few months ago looked like the lot you have. They were supposed to Tom Fuller flints. Now I am not sure.

Back