• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie mountain rifle Lock help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich427sw

32 Cal
Reaction score
hey guys, I have been looking for a Dixie Tennessee mountain rifle for a long time and I bought one online last week. It got here today and there is a problem with the lock. The hammer/cock is very hard to pull back and when at full cock it easily falls forward without pulling the trigger.

I removed the lock to make sure it wasn’t interference from the trigger/set trigger. I fiddled with the screws on inside of lock and it seemed to help but still not right. The sear looks fine. Don’t see a lot of wear or anything broken.

Also the hammer has play (can be moved back and forth) when in full cock. Hopefully an easy fix?? Thanks

Is the lock lubricated? Sounds like the bridle might be rubbing the sear and tumbler. Back the sear screw off about a turn and see what happens. If the sear screw is too tight, the bridle on those Dixie locks could make the sear bind. Also if the bridle isn't square with the plate it can make things bind.

The hammer might be loose on the tumbler shaft because the tumbler screw isn't tight or the square tumbler hole might be wallowed out. You can punch the metal around the hole or shim it to tighten it up.

Last edited:
Thank you for reply. It is lubricated. I took it apart again and I see what you mean about not being square causing it to bind. I think that is the issue. How can I correct this?

Thank you for the reply. It is lubricated. I took it apart again and I see what you mean about not being square causing it to bind. I think that is the issue. How can I correct this?

First, degrease the part. Then, using a square, find the problem areas and mark them with a Sharpie and draw file that area only. Recheck, mark, and draw file until it's square.

To tighten the cock on the tumbler cut a small piece of brass shim stock to put in between the tumbler shaft and the cock.

Back