• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been ordering from the DGW catalogs since the early nineties. I used to love flipping through the pages with my Father pre online days. Doing a bit of traveling so I stopped into their store yesterday in Union City, TN. What a nice time. The amount of original firearms is impressive. I didn't purchase anything except they're latest catalog. Been $5 for twenty years now I suppose. Anyone else have fond memories of the place?

I have been ordering from the DGW catalogs since the early nineties. I used to love flipping through the pages with my Father pre online days. Doing a bit of traveling so I stopped into their store yesterday in Union City, TN. What a nice time. The amount of original firearms is impressive. I didn't purchase anything except they're latest catalog. Been $5 for twenty years now I suppose. Anyone else have fond memories of the place?
I, too, always enjoyed DGW catalogs. They were very impressive in the amount of ML supplies they used to carry. Shame DGW has, for the most part, faded away.

Last edited:
DGW was my go to drool store in the early 70s. Wife and I drove down from Omaha in 1971. Purchased my first Kentucky flintlock rifle that cost right around $265.00
Larry

In the past i had great experiences with them, never been there tho. In the last 5 ish years I've only ordered a few things from them, I've seen and read about some sub par items coming from them. Most recently i was nervous making a big purchase from them, they were the only ones who had it, but the item showed up in excellent condition.

Most recently i was nervous making a big purchase from them, they were the only ones who had it, but the item showed up in excellent condition.
Feel the same way. And I think that’s part of the problem. They’ve been given a bad rap lately, and probably most is well deserved, but their worth to the hobby is still substantial. Would be a sad loss for them to disappear.

I really liked visiting their store. I wound up going crazy and spent much of my vacation money there too. Oooh I gotta have that too kind of thing.

Yeah I used to peruse their catalogues. There catalogue was what I used to learn to shoot my first muzzleloader too.Many years ago they advertised a 4 guage smoothbore. I wanted one. But by the time I had saved the money up to get one they had sold out and discontinued it. This was way back long before the internet existed. Of course now that I am old there is no way I could ever shoot one. Anyway I have never seen one show up for sale anywhere.

They did have a great story behind that 4 bore too. The story was it was made in Belgium to be traded to the pigmies in central Africa. One would run up under a elephant and plant the butt on the ground and fire it into the belly of the beast. It was a pretty fanciful tale for sure. They also sold a big fishing sinker mold for casting the humongous lead bullets that fit it. Something like 2,200 grains.

Last edited:
Yup, lots of old memories and nostalgia. I started getting stuff from them in 1961 when they were about the only major black powder materials and parts supplier around. I wish at the time I had the money to buy one of their $114.50 . 40 caliber "Dixie flintlock Kentucky rifles", but had to make do with nipples, wrenches, flints, and molds. Then, in subsequent years I had occasional business trips to Memphis and would drive up to Union City to check out Kirkland's gun and old car collection, while buying mainsprings and other small parts. However his catalog was the training ground for me on recommended shooting loads and general muzzle-loading guidance

1973, retired from USAF in Alabama, went through Union City while headed to Idaho, bought a dueling pistol and some other stuff. I spent many hours perusing their annual catalogue. I still have the one with Johnny Cash on the cover. Good days but nearing the end for me, I guess. Polecat

I have a few catalogs from the late 80s and early 90s in a box. Just cant throw them away.
As far as going there. It is one of the coolest places Ive ever been to. We drove 90 miles out or our way to get there. Sure glad I did. My old rifle, bowie Knife, and a pile of little stuff all came from there.

I have two of the best knives they sold, the third one sold out before I could get one.

I ordered a couple of their "Hawkens" back in 79 or 80. One kit and one built. Also ordered a hoppes blackpowder cleaning kit which I still have. Use the 4 piece rod at the range. A bil has possession of the rifles now. Wish i still had'em.

Wasn't quite what you expected though, was it? I love the place but, first time I went I was surprised at how basic it was. Made me like it even more.

Yes, many fond memories over the years. First ordered from them in 1981 and I’ve been there 3 times over the years. But I haven’t done any business with them in the last year or so. Like @ETipp said, they seem to have faded, but I hope they come back.
I think almost every business suffered from the COVID shutdowns when a lot of quality employees decided they didn't need to work anymore for whatever reason.

I've ordered from them a few times. Stopped by in person once, bartered price on a scratch and dent item. Talked to them at the NRA convention in Indianapolis, bought the last two catalogs they were selling. Always been happy with them.

I did notice the latest catalog had a lot of self promotion ads where there used to be pictures of employees.

I started buying parts from DGW in 1962 but was able to visit only once, in May of 2004. The retail area looked to me just like the pages in the catalog. Just for fun, I had brought along my copy of the 1964 DGW catalog, which has pictures of 10 employees on the cover. To my pleasant surprise, two of the featured employees, Betty Dunn and Helen Clifford still worked there (40 years later!) and were kind enough to autograph their pictures for me. These kind ladies made my visit quite special, and my catalog a very enjoyable keepsake.

I was privledged to meet Turner Kirkland three times in my life. Once at his store , and two times at the Spring Shoot at Friendship Ind. .Always a gentleman , family man , and Christian. , In the 1960's and early 1970's , used to buy stuff from Dixie , and payed with cash , through the mail. Never lost a dime dealing with his company. The info in the catalog , was priceless to a youngster trying to figure out which end of a gun the powder , patch , and ball went into. Some of the guns we were playing ith were original military guns , and the Dixie catalog sometimes had spare parts.

Back