• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John V.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever visited their store in Tennessee? Is it a good place to buy a flint lock rifle?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would make the loop and hit all the good places.....Dixie, Dixon's, log cabin shop, JAS Townsend, And a whole bunch more I can't think of.....

Haven't been there, but my principal hunting pard has family nearby and always drops in during his family visitations. He reports it's a really neat place, a "wonderland" in his words.

I'll say this though. He encourages me to call every time I need something oddball or unavailable anywhere else like parts for out-of-production models and even originals.

So I've made my calls with an astonishingly high success rate. Lots and lots (and lots and lots!) of stuff hides on their shelves and doesn't make it to their listings. Always worth checking in with them by phone, even if you don't see something listed.

The Gun Works in Springfield, OR, comes in a close second on things lurking on shelves but not listed. They're worth calling too.

If Dixie and The Gun Works don't have what you need, chances are you're not going to find it anywhere.

I was there in 1971 . It was truly AMAZING . Back then they sold many parts by the pound out of large boxes. They have a nice museum as well as a good selection of guns and parts. I still buy parts from them from time to time. :idunno:

Bravo 4-4 said:
Has anyone ever visited their store in Tennessee? Is it a good place to buy a flint lock rifle?

Yes, I've been there, 'bout two years ago.
And yeah, it would be a good place to go handle the ones they offer. And even if you don't pick one out they have plenty of other neat stuff to look at.

Dixie Gun Works were one of the first, if not The First large retailer of muzzle loading gun parts.

Their early catalogs were extremely interesting and full of information. They were randomly organized and difficult to search specifically if you were looking for specific parts, but they were never uninteresting.

They were/are not the cheapest or even the best quality but they had it all. They kinda started back when ML business was in its infancy.

Louisk said:
I got my Lyman Great Plains rifle from Dixie. Actually that rifle is now $550.00 at Dixie and $629.00 at Midway. It pays to shop around.
Good advice. Also be sure to factor in whether they charge sales tax or not, and also compare the shipping cost.

I can't remember what Dixie charged for shipping my GPR but seems like it was very reasonable. It's good to have options for mail order here. We probably have more gun stores per capita than many places but the local selection of traditional muzzleloaders here in AK seems to be pretty limited.

Louisk said:
We probably have more gun stores per capita than many places but the local selection of traditional muzzleloaders here in AK seems to be pretty limited.

Smaller gun shops in particular will order just about anything you want, but good look finding anything on the shelves to fondle. Trouble is, you usually pay shipping on top of retail on special orders, while if the shop stocks it and sticks to retail, the shipping is included and the shop has to "eat it."

I travel a lot and stick my nose in a lot of gun stores around the country. Pretty much the same scenario wherever I've been. True muzzleloading stores where you get to fondle the fun toys are pretty scarce and always worth the visit.

Growing up in Memphis, I paid many visits to DGW. The first time was in 1966, when I built my first gun. I remember the salesperson took me in back so I could pick out an inletted maple stock myself. This was in their old store. Attending the U. of TN Martin just down the road in 1968, I spent alot of time there. You could browse and examine all of the antique guns they had for sale. Once, Turner Kirkland himself saw me looking at the guns and took me in back to see some of the old guns that had just acquired. Very nice man. I think my last visit was about 2009. The antique guns were behind counters, but I asked if I could go back and take a look and they allowed me access. I asked the saleslady a question she could not answer and she got Hunter Kirkland to come out to answer my questions (sadly he has passed away). DGW prices are a little high. But I still order from them. Still get a catalog every year and and refer to it often. I think the ML hobby owes alot to DGW. They definitely led the way. If you are near NW TN you should pay them a visit. BTW: cost of parts for that first rifle: semi-inletted stock ($11.50), DGW flint lock ($18.50), Numrich Arms barrel ($26). Heck of alot of money for me in those days though. Still have the gun. :thumbsup:

Deer Creek in Waldron Indiana is a lot closer. They have a small selection of muzzleloaders.

Bravo 4-4 said:
Very good place. Actual selection will vary almost daily. They have or will order, anything in the catalog. The 'used' or 'as new' racks often hide some real treasures. The "not for sale" displays will make you cry! :wink: Their forte was, and still is, parts & parts & parts! In all honesty, I'd say the feeling there isn't as "warm" as when Turner Kirkland was alive and that's only because it's become mostly a muzzle loading business, and not a front stuffer's Disneyland...hardly a knock against them. It's an education every time through the door! By all means, go! Go early and go often! :haha:

The LGS I use to frequent down in Ga. use to carry lots of MLs but stopped sometime back. I think they still may have the pistols & C&B but that's gonna be it. Starting in the 1960s I use to order stuff from them fairly regularly; and still do just on occasion.

Their prices can sometimes be way out of sight. 12+ years ago when I acquired my Euroarms .54 US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle the price at Dixie was $800. I checked at Jarnigan's and picked up a special order, and beautiful, 1841 for something just over half Dixie's price. I like their catalog and still order bits and pieces from them and probably always will. I've never, ever been dissatisfied with their service.

:metoo: I have made several pilgrimages to Dixie over the years. Anyone who likes old guns and such should make the trip. There are a few places that can beat their prices on some items here and there, but not by much. A lot of the descriptions in the new catalog are the same as my 1973 catalog (prices excepted), but it pays to get a new catalog every 5 years or so. It will be the best $5 you will spend. It is full of not only guns but pages and pages of associated good stuff. I always liked Turner's down home descriptions of some of the items. My favorite remark was "This is not as good as our $15 (whatever) but it is still pretty good for the price."

Back