• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirty ten today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the 10g that was not cleaned after shooting a goose a few days ago was taken to the field today for a few crows and pigeons. No rust had occurred.
Just loading with a couple of thin cards between powder and shot and nothing on top I got 15 birds. Only missed four I think.
I also would retrieve some cards off the field and use them again.
IMG_20230923_151758.jpg

The view from the blind.
IMG_20230923_150707.jpg

The result, I do like a filthy looking muzzloader!

IMG_20230923_163751.jpg

At home it was cleaned with boiling water. No flash rust mojo thing at all 🙄.
Powder today was 3f with some 4f mixed in.

I have tremendous respect for Brit. He lives a life afield most of us either only dream of or experience in short two or three day weekend bursts.
May God bless and sustain you, and Jess.
Very kind words. However it's getting harder! I struggle to walk the distance I use to due to knees and ankles and my rifle shooting isn't what it use to be due to my eyes. But yes sir, I have been blessed and had a lot of fun.

Well done Brit.

Did you say, "nothing on top," as in no overshot card to keep everything in place?
I'm used to your unorthodox (to some) methods, but this is a new one to me.

Keep it up and thanks for sharing.
Yes sir, I was sat down and just letting the birds come into shot. Muzzles were never pointing down etc, so why waste a card....

Unorthodox!!....I used 3f yesterday I'll have you know!!

😂

Very kind words. However it's getting harder! I struggle to walk the distance I use to due to knees and ankles and my rifle shooting isn't what it use to be due to my eyes. But yes sir, I have been blessed and had a lot of fun.
Do not surrender my friend. A bad day in the field is better than a good day as an invalid.

let's see, a list of sin's.
1. not cleaning a gun spotless after every shot
2. no card over the shot.
3. using fffg mixed with ffffg
4. using fffg in a 10 gauge when everybody KNOW'S you need ffg.
5. reusing cards picked up from the ground, after they were converted into sand paper by dirt.

taking my 11 gauge out for grouse in the morning, so i listed all your "sins" so i could copy them and limit out on the little missiles!
great hunting my friend! rub Jess's head for me.

Back