• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different patch thickness?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to pillow ticking and mattress ticking, I found them to be completely opposite of each other in thickness,,,,,depending on which "bolt" it came from. One time the pillow ticking is thicker than the mattress ticking and when the material comes from a different bolt, the mattress ticking is slightly thicker. I take my caliper with me every time I boy material. My favorite thickness is .010 and .015. The .018 works good on one of my flinters but is very hard to load.

The ring at the ball to bore contact was good. No tearing or burn through. I was using a damp patch 1-4 ballistol/water for lube. Dipped then run through my fingers to ring excess. The fraying pretty well made it to the contact ring. The patches were pre cut Maine shooting supply? 50-58 cal. I’m thinking that the patch may not be large enough for the 62 cal ball?

@harleysboss yes, likely not large enough. Cutting at the muzzle is a universal solution. Pre cuts have their limitations. If you don't like Cutting at the muzzle, Cutting square patches from suitable material is a good compromise and they shoot just as good as any.

Back