• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Diamond Shelter in the Cold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Really the following is a quote from another board made by a gent who is a musher in Alaska.
My winter bed roll is an Early's of Witney 4 pt., a hand woven blanket of similar weight and size, inside a canvas wrap (7 X 7 foot square canoe sail) that blocks any stray breezes. Typical bed is six to 8 inches of spruce boughs. Most typical shelter is a lean-to set up to block the prevailing wind, though I sometimes prefer to just crawl into the sled bag on my traineau when that is my means of travel. I also use my capote or greatcoat in lieu of an extra blanket over all and am dressed in a manner similar to what you propose.

That set up has kept me comfortable at -30 F (- 34C) and has been tolerable at -40 (-40 C). The only modern sleeping bag I know of that can perform as well is Wiggy's Antarctic with an overbag and his company's specialized pad, a $550.00 combination at retail."
Here's his mushing website - http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm

I've used the same basic setup with the addition of a buffalo robe and was comfortable to -35°.
My "tent" was a simple wedge style as per Miller's prints made of heavy linen canvas. Clothes were a lot of BT leather with two shirts(linen & Cotton per the RMFT period trade lists, a medium weight wool flannel coat per AJ Miller, wool socks and under leggings (with BT over leggings), wool clout, no long johns - cold you bet at times, but not so uncomfortable that I couldn't have survuved

As Blackhand said based on your post I reckon nobody must have survived in the early days since they did not have down sleeping bags (if they are PC for the 1750-1850 era they sure don't show up in the historical record - so if you have something that states elswise then please supply links or a footnoted quote).
Silk undies - yep I love mine and my Merino wool ones too, but they aren't PC as far as the 1750-1850 historical records go - Yes some folks did wear undies in both the 18th and early 19th Centuries but they were not common wear for most of the lower middle and poor classes and most were made of linen or later cotton, with some wool flannel documented. Again if as you noted they are HC/PC - 1) for who, when, and where and 2) again lets see some period citations........

Like I said if you can't deliver the poundage of wool and fur you need down if you want to not to die.
No Argument here that 2 HEAVY wool blankets, a buffalo robe, a canvas, your clothes and 8 inches of boughs will certainly protect you BUT like I said if you cannot tote it on your back than you need to shoot some geese.

Unless your address is or has been for 20 years North of Whitehorse you will need to trust I might know abit more about surviving a 20 hour night then most. This stuff aint no joke, being historically correct is all well and good up to the point it leaves widows ans orphans.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only modern sleeping bag I know of that can perform as well is Wiggy's Antarctic with an overbag and his company's specialized pad, a $550.00

This is ignorant B.S. There is certainly more then one modern approach to sleeping in -35. Wiggy's is mediocre grade kit and would not be any thinking persons first choice. $ 550 is chump change when you start talking -30 bags.

You make it sound like 550 is over the moon well: considering the cost of 2 4 pt HBC blankets, a buffalo robe and a 7x7 13 oz canvas at 550 you are not even close to the the HC cost.

With all due respect, the post you quoted (as "ignorant B.S.") is your own....

Your right a sleeping bag is not required. Nothing is required other then a fire, the right location and native material such as snow, rock, moss, bush.

If you can lug it then Wool, fur and canvas is top notch and will outperform anything in the wet.

However Everything I wrote above was with the Caveate that if you can't lug the stuff that a MUSHER employs 18 dogs to pull then your best option is the historically correct application of Down.

Actually, I should note that the fellow referenced above, Thomas Swan, does in fact live well north of White Horse, at Two Rivers, Alaska.

Not doubting that down is very warm--in fact, I know it is---but what's your basis for it being historically correct? I can't recall off the top of my head any references to it in what I've read. Plenty of wool blankets, buffalo robes, etc.---including rabbitskin robes that were popular with the tribes to the far north. Could you let me know where I can find references to down being used?

Rod

Rod L said:
Actually, I should note that the fellow referenced above, Thomas Swan, does in fact live well north of White Horse, at Two Rivers, Alaska.

Not doubting that down is very warm--in fact, I know it is---but what's your basis for it being historically correct? I can't recall off the top of my head any references to it in what I've read. Plenty of wool blankets, buffalo robes, etc.---including rabbitskin robes that were popular with the tribes to the far north. Could you let me know where I can find references to down being used?
Rod
I doubt that down-filled garments had any more of a presence than diamond shelters.

no down:
9185684.jpg

no diamond:
1.1243705466.athabascan-reindeer-skin-hut.jpg

:wink:

Back