• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Delrin as ramrod material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tip Curtis told me that some of the target shooters at Friendship replace their barrels every year. I don't know how they can wear out a barrel in a year especially when they are using rod guides. :idunno:

Boomerang said:
Tip Curtis told me that some of the target shooters at Friendship replace their barrels every year. I don't know how they can wear out a barrel in a year especially when they are using rod guides. :idunno:

Serious target shooters can be a very OCD bunch. Some have rituals that are quite strange before they load or shoot.

Boomerang said:

He would not be trying to sell barrels would he?????

Kind of like each year he would say "I am not coming back to Phoenix for the Winter Nationals"????????????

Nah, such an honest vendor.

Rifleman1776 said:
Boomerang said:

Serious target shooters can be a very OCD bunch. Some have rituals that are quite strange before they load or shoot.

That mean a new barrel each year????

Kind of expensive would it not be????

I don't doubt that some target shooters replace their barrel every year but it seems like a stupid idea to me.

After a years competition, their barrels are finally broken in and they should know exactly what powder/ball/patch load it shoots best with.

Replacing the barrel with a new one makes it necessary to break in the new barrel so it doesn't rip patches and any stresses that were in the new barrel can relax and stabilize.

Every barrel is different so a new barrel will require the shooter to go thru the whole process of finding out which patch, which ball and what powder and powder load will give the best accuracy.

As we all know, this is a lengthy process and requires shooting hundreds of shots if the shooter wants any chance of winning.

Zonie said:
I don't doubt that some target shooters replace their barrel every year but it seems like a stupid idea to me.

After a years competition, their barrels are finally broken in and they should know exactly what powder/ball/patch load it shoots best with.

Replacing the barrel with a new one makes it necessary to break in the new barrel so it doesn't rip patches and any stresses that were in the new barrel can relax and stabilize.

Every barrel is different so a new barrel will require the shooter to go thru the whole process of finding out which patch, which ball and what powder and powder load will give the best accuracy.

As we all know, this is a lengthy process and requires shooting hundreds of shots if the shooter wants any chance of winning.

Zonie, you are absolutely correct.
But, try explaining that to a seriously OCD shooter. He will just look at you like you are completely daft.
I believe it would be easier to teach pig to sing opera than change some of those minds. :grin:

Slug gun shooters up at Blue Mountain Shartlesville Pa. figure their barrels are good for about 300 to 400 shots before accuracy goes to manure. And they use false muzzles. But they are also loading cross patched two part slugs over hot loads. The paper wears the barrels a bit more than cloth?

Boomerang said:

There is a member of my gun club who has a rifle that is probably been used in chunk gun matches for over 100 years. While it has been rebreeched several times and sights have been installed on several flats, the venerable " Male raccoon organ" is still bringing home meat.

He gets a "new" barrel by cutting off an inch from the breech and rotating underlugs and sights one or two flats. It's certainly not pretty, but it finds spiders in a chunk gun match.

Latest posts

Back