• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Hunting in North Carolina

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad member Round Ball has flown the coop. He posted more about NC hunting than anyone before or since. He doesn't talk much about location, but it's well worth your time to do a search for his posts.

He's sorely missed by some of us around here, but his posts live on as a fitting tribute.

Knock on doors like Roundball did...

He hunted a couple of small private plots and made good use of them.

Good Luck..Get out there!

Where are you headed?

Around the Raleigh area the two big and one medium state game lands (Jordan, Falls, and Harris) are where a lot of people go. Harris is the smaller, and closest to the city, and seems to get the most hunters. Jordan is huge. Some parts are hunted heavily and some parts aren't. Down near Charlotte there's Uwharie National Forest. It sees pretty heavy hunting pressure, but its very large some some area are more heavily hunted than others. The more you're willing to walk in the fewer hunters you see.

If you're hunting the muzzleloading season, before the regular deer season, there are few hunters anywhere.

I hunt squirrels at Jordan. I stay out of the woods during the first week of regular dear season. By the end of the second week 90% of the deer hunters are gone. Season goes (depending on the year and your part of the state) from about September to end of December, with archery and muzzleloading season first. Here's a link to the 2017-2018 seasons: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/...g Game Season Dates-Quick Reference FINAL.pdf

That's during the week. More people on Saturday of course. You can't hunt in NC on Sundays except on private land, and even then not until after church times. I'm not sure of the exact time since I don't hunt private land and I don't hunt deer, but I think it's not until after noon on Sunday. No hunting on public land on Sunday at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to Hendersonville. I know the deer hunting is not all that good around there so I was thinking more in line with an outfitter further east and south for a guided hunt. Out of state would be considered, too. Nothing canned.

Welcome to NC. I moved to NC in '94 from NY. Live about an hour west of Charlotte. Enough deer around the house where they are becoming pests. Sprayed 'deer repellent' (smells like stale horse urine) on the flowers and plants in front of the house yesterday - deer think we have a salad bar. Just starting to see this year's crop of fawns.

As far as hunting, technically legal to hunt with firearms around the house, but limit myself to string and stick options. Over past 20 plus seasons have hunted locally on both private and leased property in NC and SC. Currently have access to some small plots of private land, but with the liberal limits, see few decent sized animals. Also on a 1600 acre lease up in the mountains. Fewer deer, but with persistence and patience, one can find some nice trophys on the property. So called 'musket' season comes in during middle of archery season. Pretty popoular, at least locally.

Would suggest you visit local gun clubs and gun shops and inquire about lease openings. Most clubs around here are filled by now, but usually have waiting lists if any good. Occasionally someone drops out late creating openings. Private property can be tough. Being 'not from around here' makes it difficult. Many properties have been hunted by the same group of friends and family for years. You will need time to work your way in. I was lucky when I first moved to NC. Got invited almost immediately by some hunters at work to join them - for 'musket' season. Was told by others at work that they were never invited when they move here.....

Hunting opportunites are available, just may take a little time to find them.

Duane said:
Going to Hendersonville. I know the deer hunting is not all that good around there so I was thinking more in line with an outfitter further east and south for a guided hunt. Out of state would be considered, too. Nothing canned.

That surprises me.

I live about five miles north of Hendersonville, and I've got deer, turkey, and bear wandering in and out of my little subdivision.

Should be of critters plenty to shoot at, if you can find a place that will allow you do so. I've never gone hunting, myself, though I'd like to.

Back