• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playfarmers

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well day one of our muzzleloader season has gone good with the lord sending a nice spike buck. I thought I was filling my doe tag, but it turned out that he had spike horns a lttle longer than his ears. He was standing in the trees about 60 yards away, and with open sights and at sundown, there was no way of seeing his spikes. The .495 ball went through both lungs, and exited. He ran for about 100 yards and dropped. I hunt for the meat, and great meat it will be, and if god be willing, a doe will be added to the larder.

I had a similar situation this year. My wife and I snuck up on what we thought were a bunch of does. Got to about 25 yards to the small group. My wife couldn't get into a good position and gave me the nod to fill my extra doe tag. I peeked over the small hill and fired.

One shot and 75 yrds later I had my.....spike! It had tiny little horns about 1.25" long which blended in when I took a quick peek. Normally I'd taken a longer look to make sure but I'm in an either sex area with an extra doe tag for each of us.

I'm still happy as the Lord provided again another harvest with my ML.

Day two and I passed up several does because there where cattle 400 yards on the other side of them. We moved to another part of the field, and my wife got a nice doe at 90 yards. The .490 ball went through the lungs, and stopped under the hide on the off side. It ran off as if it had not been hit, but piled up 100 yards later. That is 2 down and my doe tag to go. This is the first year that I will not be using any modern rifles, and it feels good.

The trouble with double lung hits is they can run until they drown. Taking off the top of the heart seems to give more bang/flops. But that is splitting hairs if you can find 'em once they are down. :winking:
Anyway, the eatin' is good, and you both are to be congratulated. :hatsoff:

Congrats to both you and your wife Playfarmers! :thumbsup:

"The trouble with double lung hits is they can run until they drown. Taking off the top of the heart seems to give more bang/flops. But that is splitting hairs if you can find 'em once they are down. "

I shot a doe thru the heart one time that ran 100 yards. When she went down she was @ 10 feet behind the truck! A few more jumps and she mighta loaded herself for me! Easiest drag-out I ever had. :grin:

Farmer,
Congratulations on your buck and good
luck on your doe.
snake-eyes :applause: :bow: :hatsoff:

playfarmers said:
This is the first year that I will not be using any modern rifles, and it feels good.

I bet you don't miss them much, either. It's a great feeling knowing you don't need them. Congrats on the fine hunts!

Second Monday of the season and I filled my doe tag, all done now. It was just after dawn and I saw 3 does in a field, so I worked my way closer , but was spotted by the largest one. I got into a shooting position, and estimated the range at 100 yards. It was snowing and there was no wind, so when I shot I saw nothing but snow and smoke. The range turned out to be closer to 120. I followed the tracks into the brush where he jumped up and presented a head shot. The first shot went through him just behind the rib cage. Yes I said he, it turns out he had fork horns just a touch shorter than his ears. Our laws state that horns have to be over 4" to qualify as a buck, so I am just ok. Anyway one deer is in the freezer, and 2 are hanging in the garage. This has been a good season for my wife and I, and we plan on just using smoke poles from now on.

Back