• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dad's first bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Logan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_0181.jpg

Dad and I went to the east coast of NC on a bear hunt with hounds. The woods were full of them. The dogs put this 225 lb up a sweet gum and his TVM Grand 50 caliber Nancy Jane rifle brought it back down. We had a blast, it was both of our first bear hunt and it was the first one the guide had ever had taken with black powder. We are hooked now and cant wait to do it again.

Nice ! very nice! :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Bearskin rug? Man, bear hunting is on my bucket list.

Bear is getting cut up, hide is getting tanned,the fat is in my wifes crock pot now, I need to go back and reread Swampys tutorial on bear fat rendering. I am looking forward to using some "real lube"

As far as bear hunting with hounds, its a don't knock it until you tried it thing, the east coast of NC is nothing but pine plantation thickets and briars and river cane. you could live there next to a thicket full of bears and never see one. If you live in the open deciduous forest land of much of the Eastern US you might not understand.

That's a great trophy of a bear. Bear season is over in the county where I hunt. I have yet to get a shot at one but then, I don't hunt with dogs and I couldn't follow along even if I did. Congratulations to your dad.

I'd like to see some better pics of that fine looking rifle.

:hatsoff: Atta[strike]boy......[/strike]dad!!..good fer him..an great fer you! memory made! :thumbsup:

thanks Swampy for the link, I still have a couple of ? when and how do you start drawing the oil from the crockpot?
Does the oil get filtered , when your adding it to your jar?and how(fine cloth or paper coffee filter)
Does the white stuff in the bottom of your jars keep releasing oil just sitting on the shelf?

I have some bees wax. do I mix it in with the oil at some point and make some patch grease, I guess that would have the consistency like TOW mink oil?

It seems like the whole process takes a while, but the final product will be worth it, even if my wife says she cant take a week of this. :rotf:

T.O. said:
thanks Swampy for the link, I still have a couple of ? when and how do you start drawing the oil from the crockpot?
Does the oil get filtered , when your adding it to your jar?and how(fine cloth or paper coffee filter)
Does the white stuff in the bottom of your jars keep releasing oil just sitting on the shelf?

I have some bees wax. do I mix it in with the oil at some point and make some patch grease, I guess that would have the consistency like TOW mink oil?

It seems like the whole process takes a while, but the final product will be worth it, even if my wife says she cant take a week of this. :rotf:

I used the "Warm" setting by the way, the low setting I was afraid was to high a temp. Warm worked just fine for me. I setup a jar with an old tee shirt over the top and whenever I checked the pot and found I could ladle off some, I did, pouring into the tee shirt covered jar. Just did that until it was pretty well spent. Once a jar got full enough I replaced it and the full jar was placed on a shelf to separate. This can take some time and I found things speed up by keeping the jars warm. I have been known to place a lamp next to the jars for warmth.

Mixing with beeswax or deer tallow comes later after all the oil is processed and filtered a couple of times. A one to one mix to me seems to hard of a mix but has worked for some. You'll need to experiment some to get where you want it. Start with using the left over lard after you get most of the oil off. Use that up making lube first and try to keep the oil for other things before using that for a lube mix. That way everything gets used and it lasts much longer. :thumbsup:

Way to go Dad!!There is a ban on bear hunting in my area of Cali., although my National Forest area is overrun with black bears, the local treehuggers think that the local police should kill them when reach town.

I have contacted the guide already because we are dying to do it again. The rendering is going well, I have already drawn off and filtered a quart.

Congrats to your pa an you. Great lookin blackbear. I eat a roast once an it was great so here's to some good eats :thumbsup:

Congrats to you both,Sounds like a hoot of a time. :thumbsup: I had a guy invite me and a friend on a bear hunt in SE Tn. just the other day. I plan to go but it will most likely be next year before I can. Dang knee is still needing surgery,I think i'm going to have to give in and Get er' Done :shake:

Back