• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA St. Louis Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slumlord44

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a CVA 50 caliber Hawkin on Gunbroker that was advertised as a St. Louis Hawkin. Gun has walnut stock and appears to be unfired. How do you tell the ST Louis Hawkin from the Hawkin? Went through all my period CVA catalogs and the description is pretty much the same except for the beavertail cheekpice being smaller. This one is slightly smaller than my percussion CVA Hawkin which is marked Hawken on the barrel. This one is not marked Hawkin. The trigger guard is slightly different. The Precussion trigger guard is not attatched to the frame behind the rear trigger. The St Louis Hawkin is attached behind the trigger guard. Anyone here know more about these than I do. Thought I knew a lot and that the old catalogs would help but while I think I have a St Louis Hawkin I am not totally sure. My catalogs show the ST Louis cheaper than the straight Hawkin but the plain Hawkin has a walnut stock. my orginal plain hawkin has a hardwood stock. I can't find a St Louis Hawkin in the catalogs that has a walnut stock which leads me to beleive that I have a Hawkin rather than a St Louis Hawkin but the barrel isn't marked Hawkin or St Louis Hawkin.. Beautiful gun either way but I'm just trying to figure out what I actually have.

WELL do you have it yet if so look at the serial number this should be two numbers in front of it will tell you the year the barrel was made

I'm familiar with the 2 numbers in front of the serial #. They are not there. I'm not as interested in when it was built as what model it is.

Can't tell from the photos. One says hardwood stock and mine is definately walnut while the Hawken that I have has a hardwood stock and the barrel is marked Hawken. Where are all the CVA experts out there? There was a great discussion on the Montain rifles some time back and some of you guys knew a lot about them. As I said the one I just got was advertised as a St Louis Hawken and it has a walnut stock and unmarked barrel. From what the several original catalogs I have the St Louis Hawken should have a hardwood stock and the Hawken should have a walnut stock. My Hawken has a hardwood stock and the barrel is marked Hawken. The supposed St Louis Hawken's barrel is marked made in Spain. I have several CVA's with the model marked on the barrel but as I recall the Mountain rifles are not marked as such on the barrels . The two barrel keys are the tell on them. And I thought Stevens rifles were hard to figure out?

CVA before it quite making side locks started making allot of different models by name but many of them had very little differences between one and another and just gave it a new name. The biggest tell for me with the mountain rifle was flat nose cap.

I got that. Thats why I'm having trouble figring out what I have. Not much actual difference in the Hawkin and St Louis Hawkin by the catalog description and photos.

I also have a CVA .50 flinter. Has semi- buckhorn fixed sights, and the patchbox is different from my St. Louis Hawken caplock. The word Hawken is not on my rifle either.

According to my original catalogs they are both 1 in 66, 28" and 15/16 across the flats. Hawken is 7lbs 15 oz and St Louis Hawken is 7lbs 13 oz. Hawken has walnut stock with fully formed beavertail cheekpiece and St Louis Hawken has hardwood stock with fully formed beavertail cheekpiece. A later cataloge shows a low beavertail cheekpiece on the St Louis Hawken with hardwood stock. Near as I can tell the Walnut stock indicates Hawken not St. Louis Hawken but I have a Precussion Hawken with hardwood stock that is marked Hawken on the barrel.

DID you get the rifle yet don't forget to open the vent hole with a1/16drill or you going to get a lot of flash in the pan

Back