• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Pennsylvania Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought this at auction. I think I got a good price, but I couldn't find any recently sold to compare it to. Do you have any idea the value? IT's typical used condition with a few dings and scratches. Good bore. Working condition. Double trigger. Sorry, this is the only pic I have right now.

Attachments

• cva.jpeg
    cva.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 17
I had one a month or so ago in my watch items on GunBroker. I'll try to remember to look through ended items and see what it went for. At least that might give a ballpark idea. I think it was a cap gun but was the first Penn rifle made by CVA I had seen. Yours is the second.

Just looked back and found the one on GB. It was a cap gun and the pics looked like it was in excellent condition. Looks like it was listed twice at $600 and ended both times without selling. I thought it had sold so I guess this really doesn't help much.

I just picked it up. Here are a few more pics. I hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_6779.JPG
    IMG_6779.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6782.JPG
    IMG_6782.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6783.JPG
    IMG_6783.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6784.JPG
    IMG_6784.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6786.JPG
    IMG_6786.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6796.JPG
    IMG_6796.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6797.JPG
    IMG_6797.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6800.JPG
    IMG_6800.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6802.JPG
    IMG_6802.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
It appears to be rather rare. I can't find much info on it. Any idea of fair value in this condition?

The one recently on GB was just about perfect and didn't get the $600 that guy was asking. And yours is the second one I've ever seen after being a CVA fan for thirty years. It will have more value than a Jukar or CVA, Traditions Kentucky of the same vintage and condition, but not sure on the value. I'm sure someone smarter than me will have a good ballpark. I'll speculate in it and see what I can come up with.

They was priced considerably higher than other CVA offerings,I picked mine up new unfired,I did a bunch of welding for a fella and rather then cash he opened up his huge walk in safe and said pick one,there was more expensive modern guns but the CVA Pennsylvania caught my eye ☺️

What ballpark are you hoping to sell it for if you decide to let it go?
I'm in an antique co-op in Hanover, PA. I was planning on offering it there. I'm trying to avoid shipping. Being a flintlock, and apparently rare, I was hoping in the $600 range. But, I don't want to price it too high to sell, or give it away for half its value. I was hoping someone could give me an idea of a fair value.

If this works it's my wife shooting mine,also very first shot she ever shot from flintlock.she shoots cap and ball revolvers a lot,but had never shot a flintlock.

I believe in the 90's they was priced in $800.00 range new,and I dont believe they was ever offered as a kit.
Mine is only one I have ever seen in person,I imagine the high price kept most folks away from purchasing one,I know I sure didnt have that to spend back then.

I believe in the 90's they was priced in $800.00 range new,and I dont believe they was ever offered as a kit.
Mine is only one I have ever seen in person,I imagine the high price kept most folks away from purchasing one,I know I sure didnt have that to spend back then.
This one definitely needs some cleaning up, but still a nice gun. I was tempted to keep it at least for one deer season, but I can't keep everything I like.
If it was $800 new in the 90's, that'd probably be $1500 today. So, does the $600 sound fair? Based on that, $600 sounds low to me. But, I run an antique shop, not a museum. It'll look great and draw attention hanging on the wall, but the intent is to sell it. Pricing things can sometimes be the hardest part of the job.

I honestly have no clue the value now,I'd guess there was very few sold considering they are CVA and they was priced with much higher end guns,I'd assume they used regular CVA locks and triggers but I dont know,I suppose its possible they had upgraded parts mine has always worked good but it hasnt been shot a lot probably around 200-300 balls shot through it,

I shoot 65 grains 2F and .490 ball in mine,it shoots pretty good I've only shot 1 deer with it and a handfull of squirrels its still in next to new condition, a few scratches on buttplate and stock by buttplate from loading in timber is only blemishes.

This one definitely needs some cleaning up, but still a nice gun. I was tempted to keep it at least for one deer season, but I can't keep everything I like.
If it was $800 new in the 90's, that'd probably be $1500 today. So, does the $600 sound fair? Based on that, $600 sounds low to me. But, I run an antique shop, not a museum. It'll look great and draw attention hanging on the wall, but the intent is to sell it. Pricing things can sometimes be the hardest part of the job.

My 1990 CVA Catalog says $536.95 for a finished Flintlock Rifle. I have an older cap lock by Jukar. The local ML shop said it wasn't worth more than $450.

$600 sounds fair but maybe a bit low. Especially on an older rare gun like yours. I sold one just like it about ten years ago for that.

Good Luck!

Walt

Back