• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choctaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm the owner of one Mountain Rifle and have just purchased another via internet. The seller describes it as a CVA Mountain Rifle, 50 caliber, 1-66 inch twist barrel in a walnut stock. The stock doesn't have a patch box and the trigger guard is different from the MR I already have. What years did the 50's not come with a patch box?

Hopefully the seller will be able to ship today.

I have searched this site (lots of CVA Mountain Rifle info) but haven't found the exact answer to my question...if that's even possible.

Thanks.

This is most likely the late run when cva closed up their sidelock business. I believe the last run they made 500 of them. You might be able to tell by the last 2 digits of the serial number.

I had one of those and it's not a mountain rifle can't remember what they call it and for the year of rifles it will have two numbers in front of the serial number an that was the date but the barrel was made :wink:

great rifles. I actually have one of the first models with the douglas barrel and highly figured maple stock. Still in kit form, but Im slowly getting the stock together

DT, yes it did! The blued barrel is marked Connecticut Valley Arms, Mountain, Spain. The wood is indeed walnut and there is no patch box. I'm not totally sure what it is but I like it. However, my shoulder is messed up so it looks like it will be winter before I can shoot it. I guess that will give me something to look forward to while recovering this fall. I keep telling myself that anyway. :doh:

To my knowledge they didn't come with a walnut stock and only the big bores, 54 and 58 came without a patch box. Maybe a replacement stock or maybe it was a later model, I don't know for sure. It does in fact look like their MR though otherwise.

Well I hope that shoulder gets better sooner than winter. I am sure there are some bruiser hogs that would like to meet that Mt. Rifle. Good luck healing-up. My JBMR .50 CAL. get's along real well with a prb. and 35.gr of 3fff Goex . No recoil and shoots good . Not a Hog load but anything smaller cant argue with it . ,,,,DT

Mike B, I tend to agree. Thank you.

DT, we're heading out there tomorrow morning. I guess I'll be a spectator on this trip. :(

My son went dove hunting yesterday and saw lots of deer but no hogs. Maybe we have run them off? lol

Thank you for the load suggestion. I think I'll designate one of my MRs as a hunting rifle and the other two as target guns and plinkers and use lighter loads.

The CVA Mountain Rifle went out of production several times and was introduced as NEW in several of their catalogs. This is definitely a late model rifle, they did indeed have walnut stocks at this time and you'll notice the trigger guard is from the Frontier/Kentucky Hunter Rifle. It might even have a chrome lined bore. This might be late 1980s but more likely from the 1990s.

I don't have my catalogs handy but if you remind me in a month I'll be happy to poke through them and find the year they ditched the patch box for the .50s.

Back