• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundowner

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Several years ago I got a CVA Mountain mail order . This week I was getting ready for the spring shoot and noticed that it has no CVA serial # the only # spamped on the barrel is 0452 , and the barrel was made in the USA . It is a sweet shooter but all but the plates that hold the wedges and front site are broewned rather than blued , an CVA is stamped on the barrel rather than lasered on .?
Charlie

Sundowner --

Depending on how long a time "several years" is, it sounds as though you've got one of the early Mountain rifles that has a Douglas barrel. Very high-quality barrel, if that's the case.

Can anyone prove that Douglas made barrels for CVA? I think it's an urban legend.

Several years meens 4 to 4 1/2 years I think that it was the first time that I saw the rifle and was looking for a pb long gun .

The ramrod pipes on the early guns are six sided, not eight sided.
Yes, Swampman, it is fact that CVA put Douglas barrels on the first run of 500 CVA Mountain Rifles. I don't know when exactly they changed from using them. The barrels are marked, Made in USA. Mine is a first model, so I don't have info on the ones after that. I don't know if there are other makers barrels marked Made in USA or not. They were built in batches of 500 over the years. When, where, and what changed as time went on.

My CVA mt. rifle has made in USA and 11-66 stamped on the browned barrel. The number 0304 is stamped on the right side. Would this be considered a Douglas barreled rifle. The thimbles are round. Thanks for any information on this accurate rifle. :v

This same debate has been going around for years. I got the real answer for myself by calling and talking to a very nice old timer at CVA when I wanted other information on all my old CVA's. They do have it all in their records. So this is from the horses mouth, not the other end or speculation. The early CVA MR's did in fact have Douglas barrels on them and I was told there is an easy way to tell on your own rifle whether Douglas or Spanish made. Check your patch box... 4 screw PB's on the MR's had Douglas, 2 screw had Spainish barrels.

HTH

Sundowner I have 2 MT rifles 45cal One flinter&one cap There both say made USA .Your wedge pin holders should be german sliver and ramrod thimbles should be 5 sided,you can't get these any more,they replace them with round ones. You can still get the sliver wedges. Mine have the 4 screws in patchbox. also have kentucky rifle made in USA 45. Dilly

The pipes are six sided. The upper point sits in a groove in the rail, so it isn't seen. I looked and mine does not have a date on it like was mentioned earlier.

Runner You are right I did'nt count right mine don"t have a date either. Thanks Dilly

I got my percussion Mtn Rifle in 1978. It does have a serial number, 4 screws on the patch box, and 6 sided thimbles. I don't think it has a Douglas barrel because when I had the rail off of the barrel, I remember it being stamped, made in Spain. Am I loosing my mind? I don't want to remove the rail again, the screws are getting worn. This gun shoots really well!

The ramrod timbles are round and it has ywo screws on the patch box . Didn't know that it was going to start al this . All I know it was dead on when I took it out of the box and has stayed that way . I use it for roundball shooting . I just saw that it did not have a CVA serial # and was wondering if that was odd . It shoots great and that's all I want out of any smoke pole .
Charlie

On the Douglas barrels it says, Made in USA in letters about as big as they could use on the flat.
Just for clarity, I think they all shot about equally well. I have never heard anyone complain about the accuracy out of a Mountain Rifle. They have won a lot of matches thru the years. At a gathering last summer, I walked up to a camp with my ancient looking Mountain rifle. We got to talking about them. He grabbed his to show me what he had done making his it suit him. He went in the tent and brought his wifes new looking gun out. We were discussing just how to re-work it when she rescued it from us! She won the womens division that weekend by the way. Not only are they accurate, there are lots of them out there at the shoots.

Well, I guess that mine has the Douglas barrel. It has a serial number, the large MADE IN THE USA stamping, but no date. The patch box has 4 screws holding it on. Not too bad for a pawn shop dog...

Back