• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anything I need to know about this percussion rifle it is 45 cal. Is it worth $250.00 dollars.

It's an older piece since CVA quit making them some time ago. Hard to say with almost no information. Off hand I'd say no for that price. If it's in new shape a big maybe. ML sell with a big difference in price depending on when and where. Some areas of the country they are plentiful and can be bought cheaper. Some areas not so much and they go higher.

Looks like those for sale run around that; kits about the same as well. They're not fancy but back in the old days they put a lot of Bambis in the freezer. 75 grains of FFg was about their limit but a lot of guys then did well with a slightly lesser speed load with 50 grains of FFFg...got within 100 fps of the larger load of FFg. If fact, many shot their very best with the 50 grain load. It's kind of fun to see some of the old CVA guns being put back in use.

While CVA is Spanish made and on the low end, I have been told some of the older CVAs barrel is marked MADE in the USA and is a high quality barrel and "could" be worth the price. Jim

Some early Mountain Rifles and a few one-piece Kentucky rifles had USA marked barrels, usually Sharon or Douglas. Most of CVA's production will be marked "Made in Spain". Later when Deer Creek took over they completed some of the production with unmarked barrels of US construction. How much monetary value this make make is unknown.

Look around. Usually cheaper ones are to be had. What kind of shape is this one in? What it comes down to is, is it worth it to you. Most even the made in Spain barrels shot very good or better than most shooters would shoot anyway. I have several I picked up over the years.

Stlnifr said:
Is there anything I need to know about this percussion rifle it is 45 cal. Is it worth $250.00 dollars.

Is it a kit or factory assembled?

flintlock or percussion?

early 1970's or early 1990's

Condition?

What are the barrel markings?...

A Jukar barrel is worth more than a CVA IMO...

To answer your original question,,sounds a little expensive,,$150.00 is more where I'd be on it.Condition is a very big factor,and just how bad you want it.

I don't want it that bad. I have a TC Hawkens and I am not in a hurry to get another. Thought if that was a good price I might go for it. I guess it not a good price. From the feed back on it.

No longer interested in a CVA Kentucky Rifle. But I did see the one in the classifieds not interested in it either.

Back