• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva Breech Plug Removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you remove the bolster and breechplug for a frontier rifle.I have some rusting around the bolster and want to remove clean good and reblue.

You have to remove the powder drum first(bolster)And then the breech plug! The powder drum screws into the breech plug. It's most likely rust welded together. It's not a job for a novice and should only be done by the factory. If you do manage to get it remove ok you most likely won't be able to get it back together. Others will chime in with more info than I have! :hmm:

Because everything is cross drilled and then threaded it's best to NOT attempt to remove it.
The drum itself can be removed, but again it's been drilled through from the muzzle after it's installed, some galling of the threads can happen.

Get a small brass brush from Napa and clean it as best you can and call it good

If you really feel that you must remove it use this procedure: In top of the rifle where the barrel and tang meet put a punch mark on the seam between where the barrel and tang meet. Then remove the drum. Once the drum is out use a wrench to screw out the breech plug. Once you have the plug out clean and re-blue the area that you want. Screw the breech plug back in aligning the punch marks and re-install the drum.

I agree with you necchi.

Even just removing the nipple drum is not without risk.

Usually, once the drum has been removed when it is reinstalled it will still be loose when it reaches the "right" position and screwing it in "one more turn" won't be possible.

Then the person is faced with either using a gun with a loose nipple drum or using a thread locking compound to keep it in the right position.

Folks should stop worrying about internal rust and just make sure the threads in the breech have some oil in them.

As for external rust, a small brass or stainless steel brush will scrub away most of it.

I'm not worried about internal rust just around the bolster but thought the parts would have to be taken apart to reblue I may be wrong.The inside of the bore is shiny all the way to the bottom.

EDP1 said:
How do you remove the bolster and breechplug for a frontier rifle.I have some rusting around the bolster and want to remove clean good and reblue.

I would never try to remove the drum or breech plug just to clean or remove external rust. I successfully removed and replaced the drum on a CVA Ky rifle I bought that had a stripped nipple. I tried the same thing on a CVA Frontier Hunter and the drum twisted off in the breech plug. By the time I removed what was left the integrety of the breechplug was in question. I purchased a replacement barrel at Friendship in September.

CVA1.jpg

I've seen the drums on CVA's unscrewed a little and then snap off. Then the communication hole was not aligned any more precluding you from drilling and tapping the existing drum and installing one in the broken one. I'd just use some emory cloth and shoe shine that area and re blue.

Bob

I had bought a CVA Frontier barrel and proceeded to unscrew the drum. Came right off! That is it twisted right off the threads. I did not even have to crank real hard on it. I was able to remove the rest of the threaded shaft and repair it. So if you attempt this I suggest soaking it in penetrating oil for a few days first.

You probably should have someone do it for you and I don't think CVA does it any more. Their authorized dealer is Deer Creek.

I don't think CVA will even admit that they imported sidelock guns any more.

Kind of a shame because sidelock muzzleloaders is what built their company.

I agree. I would not mess with it. In 30 years of shooting these fine rifles, I have never found the need to mess with the bolster and breech plug. I would re-blue it in place. Just make sure to rinse well and oil ALOT...at least until the bluing has taken...Then clean her real good and fire away

I agree that traditional type rifles and pistols is what built CVA. I have a couple CVA catalogs from the 70's, they had a great selection of both flint and cap sidelock rifles and pistols that looked to be of good quality, it's a shame they quit offering them. I spoke with someone at the factory earlier this year who told me they had no demand for sidelocks and that thier inventory of replacement parts had been sold to another company, Deer Creek I think. All three of my sidelocks are CVA caplocks, I'm always on the lookout for a left hand .54 cal CVA Hawken Flintlock but I don't think they made many, they were offered in the catalogs I have but I've never seen one.

Back