• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting large chunks of lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a literal brick of lead. Obviously much too large to fit into my casting pot. What method(s) could be used to cut small sliced off this mass?
Thanks,
Bruce

A saw and some oil. I use a bandsaw. I had zipped up many brick sized pieces on the band saw. Clean up the lead sawdust so it does not get tracked into the house.

I missed out on a 500 plus pound lead pig. IF I had to deal with it I would have used a chainsaw.

After the chainsaw I melted the chunks down over a charcoal forge, then into ingots for the lead pot.

1707336510390.png
1707336542811.png

Careful with the Oxy-Acetelen torch. It will get the lead hot enough to create lead vapors that will make you sick.
I use a rosebud tip in a well ventilated area outside. Makes short work of it melting into my ingot mold. I've also used an old hatchet with a 3 pound hammer to cut off smaller chunks.

I have a 25 lb. plumbers lead pot that I Got from my dad, we used to use it to cast the joints on cast iron pipes. So far I haven't gotten a piece I couldn't use it to melt down and then cast 1 lb. ingots. works better to clean up the lead instead of putting dirty lead into your casting pot.

I've used an old 10 in cast iron skillet and a Colman camp stove too. I also have a couple of plumbers pots and the kerosene burner but it takes more fiddling with to fire it up for under a hundred pounds of lead to melt, You are right they are excellent for cleaning up dirty lead.

Big blocks will puddle up out doors with an acetylene torch pretty quick. Have used all of the above depending on the piece of lead.

Back