• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Needstuff03

32 Cal
Reaction score
I need a breech plug for a hopkins allen underhammer, it would have to be a one off or custom job needs to be 3/4×16 for the threaded part and then go to 5/8ths cylinder to fit in the action. Could I buy a 3/4 plug and cut off the tang and weld a 5/8th lug onto it? Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220401_224901.jpg
    20220401_224901.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 30
If I were to use a bolt, I would probably pick a non-plated Grade 5, though any grade would work. What I don’t like about bolts is that the threads are rolled, not cut, and at least to me vary some. My reason for picking Grade 5, is they (and Grade 8) always seem to have more consistent threads than ungraded/Grade 2 bolts.

I would make friends with someone that works in a machine shop and/or has access to lathe. You are looking a a very simple task on a lathe.

Hope you find a workable solution to your challenge.

Last edited:
a poor mans lathe could work for you. get your bolt, center drill and tap the tang end for a 3/16 bolt. cut the head off the 3/16 bolt and chuck it into a drill press (if you have a drill press) . turn the tang area down with a good sharp bastard file. if you don't have a drill press, disregard.

a poor mans lathe could work for you. get your bolt, center drill and tap the tang end for a 3/16 bolt. cut the head off the 3/16 bolt and chuck it into a drill press (if you have a drill press) . turn the tang area down with a good sharp bastard file. if you don't have a drill press, disregard.
Might find oneself lacking material trying to get a 3/4”-16 thread from a 3/16” bolt, even with a real fancy drill press.

the 3/16th bolt is just for chucking into the drill press jaws. most presses won't take a 3/4. think about it.
Got it. Was not considering using the 3/16” bolt as a holding piece for the drill press chuck, although, the larger drill presses where I worked have at least 1” max capacity. Believe it would take some effort even with sharp file to work down a 3/4” diameter driving it with 3/16” diameter bolt without bending or braking the bolt. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done. I would just use a lathe, however, if one doesn’t have a lathe, one has to improvise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back