• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ct. Deer Hunters,Please Read..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktales

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Please carefully read and respond to your deer survey. Ct.DEEP Deer Survey
One of the questions pertain to opinions on a traditional only October deer season in Connecticut.
The Archery guys are strongly opposed to Traditional ML hunters invading "Their" woods in October.The archery lobby is strong in these parts and they have a deer season nearly 4 months long.
I don't know where this will go, but at least the question is on the survey. That,at least, is a good thing.
Maybe all those years i commented on the survey about a traditional only season got a few people thinking.

Back in the 70's and 80's Ml season was always early and then we got pushed back to Mid-December... after the other seasons.

Well one solution would be to split up some of the WMA's- one bow, one MZ.

There are already plenty of areas on public land designated for bow hunting only. IMO, I don't think it'll fly as there's too few Traditional hunters here and a vocal archery group in this state. From what I've been reading on local forums is that they don't want to hear any shots during "their" month of October. Personally, I don't see an issue as I don't foresee large numbers of hunters dusting off their sidelocks (if they still have them) and flooding the woods for a week.
I was just surprised to even see a question like that on the survey. At least someone was thinking about it. :v

bucktales said:
There are already plenty of areas on public land designated for bow hunting only. IMO, I don't think it'll fly as there's too few Traditional hunters here and a vocal archery group in this state. From what I've been reading on local forums is that they don't want to hear any shots during "their" month of October. Personally, I don't see an issue as I don't foresee large numbers of hunters dusting off their sidelocks (if they still have them) and flooding the woods for a week.
I was just surprised to even see a question like that on the survey. At least someone was thinking about it. :v

I will have to fill mine out in favor of a traditional season. I used to like the fact that in my youth muzzleloading was before the general firearm. As a non resident I am not sure if I would participate in it. As a non resident it would cost me a lot of money with a separate gun and muzzlelaoding license. Then again, it may be worth it as the hunting for deer in Connecticut is much better than my home state of Massachusetts.

I think that a lot of gun hunters would object too since there would be less deer for them to harvest if an early traditional BP season became popular.
On the other hand, an early traditional season may actually appeal to some of the archers.
After all, it could mean another tag for those who want to participate.
Maybe that's why they're doing the survey, because it's not so cut and dry.
A lot of bowhunters also muzzle load during the late season. And some of them may appreciate being able to reach out farther with a muzzle loader during an October gun hunt.
Whereas the non-muzzle loader gun hunters will feel threatened since many don't muzzle load at all.
Only by doing the survey can the overall amount of support by all of the current hunters be known.
If it were so simple then they wouldn't be doing the survey.
It helps the DEP to have ammunition to support the proposal.
By and large, most sportsman support each other.
Especially in a small state like Connecticut where many deer hunters participate in multiple deer seasons. But not as many participate in muzzle loading as their could be.

They tried it here in New York, a few years back.The archery guys raised a big stink and the muzzleloader early hunt was stopped.

Hope you have better Luck in CT

Now that I think about it, I would like to see it pass. I don't think a week of traditional muzzlelaoding would have a big impact on the deer herd. But as said, the bowhunters believe it will encroach on their time. We can't afford to think like this in this day and age. All of us hunters need to realize that the anti crowd sees all hunters as some sort of abberation that needs to end.

Not wanting to hear shots during bow season is :bull: Here in CT the woods are filled with bird hunters and their dogs running all over at that time. I bow hunt state land and see this every year.

I got a better idea...let the bow hunters and bird hunters have their current seasons...give the traditional ML hunters SUNDAY to hunt...

I also agree with the previous comment, we have so much against us with the anti's...do we really need to fight amungst ourselves. I love to bow hunt as well, but never felt that it was my right to keep anyone else out of the woods. Living in CT for work now and not only filled out the survey in favor of the early traditional season, but also sent a letter in with my thoughts on why...

We had the same disscussion last fall here in VT. The state wanted an October traditional ML season. The bow nazi's went nuts, and the idea was kiled. Most of these bow guys skip rifle season, but hunt the December ML season with fancy in-line rifles. Vt gives these guys almost unlimited doe tags for $10 a pop. Its very quiet in the November woods, but its like D-day, opening day of ML season. Its sad.

I also pony up the $159.00 for out of state muzzleloader tags in CT each year. I'd love to have two seperate trips to ML hunt there each year. I'd gladly blow off a week of Vt bow for a week of ML'er with VTdeerhunter in October. I''m sure the local economy would like to see me too.

Back