• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crockett cleaning question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Crockett coming to me. I’m looking for best way to clean it as it doesn’t have a hooked breech. I’m thinking of one of those fittings you screw in where the nipple goes and flush water through attached hose.
Do you Crockett owners use these or how do you clean yours? I just ordered some pipe cleaners also. Any help is appreciated.

The screw goes into the trigger assembly it shouldn't damage any wood in the process. I replaced the factory screw with a brass one from the hardware store. I replaced the screw so that the factory screw wouldn't get damaged with my screw driver after frequent cleanings. The factory screw can be put back in if you want to at any time. The screw has a 10-32 thread.

This is how Mr Humphries (Black Powder Maniac) cleans his and he shoots a lot. I would recommend having some kind of sealer between the wood and barrel (paste wax or similar).
I'd second the removing of the barrel each cleaning unless it was a hooked breech which I'm sure the Crockett isn't.

This is how Mr Humphries (Black Powder Maniac) cleans his and he shoots a lot. I would recommend having some kind of sealer between the wood and barrel (paste wax or similar).
I'd second the removing of the barrel each cleaning unless it was a hooked breech which I'm sure the Crockett isn't.

That's somewhat how I clean my Crockett Rifle. I only pull the barrel every 5-6 times. When I do so, before reinstalling the barrel, I put a thick layer of Bore Butter on the bottom of the barrel, as well as in the stock cutout for the barrel. This makes somewhat of gasket and seals the barrel to stock and helps prevent any water or rust from forming. I am careful not to allow water/soap to spill down the barrel when pouring it from the water bottle. I pull the barrel and submerge the nipple/flash channel into some hot soapy water in a small can or small container and use the usual pumping up and down method with a wet cleaning patch about the 5-6 times of cleaning. Dry it out with clean patches and then follow up with TC 13. Dry patches, blow compressed air down the flash hole, a couple more dry patches to remove the crud that came out of the flash hole, clean the nipple, then apply a good coat of gun oil to the bore and a little down the flash hole, install nipple and wipe down the wood.

I see no reason to remove the barrel every time I clean the ML.

Last edited:
Anybody know what size the threads are on a Crockett nipple? I’d like to get the fitting and hose for cleaning.
Should be 6-1mm. Same as any other Traditions. TOTW sells the flush nipple. You supply the hose.

Lol. You’re right but I did know that one. Thanks!!

Now if I could figure out what llrc means🙄
Good luck. My search says there are like 23 definitions to that. pick one. I never knew what they meant by it either.

Back