• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crazy Aqua Fortis idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osprey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm working on my first kit, have looked at the aqua fortis method of staining the wood, particularly where they soak nails or steel wool in it for color, and have an idea to ask about. I've got lots of soil here thick with iron (ferrite??), it's brick red, soft and flaky. What woul that do in the mix? Turn it redder? Am I so far off the wall to be uncharted?? :wink:

Putting iron in the Nitric acid makes a chemical reaction. The desired resulting compound is Ferric Nitrate. If done carefully, and with fingers crossed, you will end up with a clear, almost colorless liquid with little, if any, sediment. If you go dumping steel wool in it (which I do NOT recommend!!!!), or sometimes, for no apparent reason at all, you will get lots of sludge forming on the bottom. The liquid will still work fine, though. :wink:

As pure iron as you can get is what you need. Too much impurities can give you wierd results.

If your recipe has nitric acid and muriatic acid in the mix? Run like the devil is after you when you put the iron nails in the acid. Make durn sure nothing is down wind of it that you don't want to kill.
The term "Volcanic reaction" comes to mind.
Be careful.

I fill a mason jar about 2 parts acid, one part water (you HAVE to have water...acid alone doesn't want to work). I do not use HCL. It is not necessary. Add small clean nails a few at at time, and watch 'em dissolve. They'll go slowly, fizzing away. When those are about gone, add some more. Keep on until they won't dissolve anymore. Put the lid on loosely, and sit the jar aside for at least several days (and put it away from anything that can rust...preferably outside somewhere).

By the way, do all this OUTSIDE. The reaction produces noxious red fumes. If you put steel wool in, the reaction will be very fast, and billowing clouds of swirling red death will issue forth from your jar. It will SERIOUSLY burn your eyes, nose, and throat. The concoction will also get rather hot. Best to avoid steel wool. It keeps the reaction to a more manageable level. Besides, what's the hurry?

wich acid do you recomend nitric is getting hard to come by anymore

Nitric is readily available through any local chemical/laboratory supply house. Just look in your local yellow pages under chemical supply and look from a firm that services schools and other labs. It comes in glass 2 liter bottles (about 1/2 gallon) and costs about $40. Most places will sell you a smaller amount--say a pint or so--for maybe $10.

There are any number of places you can order it from online but shipping and hazmat fees will run up the price.

Listen to the above advice...Chris is giving you good info.

For those not in a situation to make their own AF the other option is to buy it - either the old Wahkon Bay formula again being made by Mike Lea (sp?) and family - sold by TOTW, Log Cabin, and others.

You can also by ferric nitrate crystals from several on line sources (no hazmat) - add 3 parts water to one part crystals.

Chris aka Stophel - I've found that adding muriatic brings out the red tones more than - I generally "thin" the muriatic 10-1 with water and add it 1-1 to my Ferric Nitrate mix. The muriatic may not be necessary, but for me it gives a "better" color....

as always others mileage will vary...

I bought reagent grade Nitric acid probably 2 or more years ago in one liter bottles. I got two of them. One is still unopened. I paid $10 for each bottle. Shipping cost me probably twice as much. Who knows what it is now. One way to find out... I got it from Ky. Antec [url] www.kyantec.com[/url] Go to their website and get their phone number and call them for current prices and shipping costs. Chemical prices are like gasoline and gold...changing constantly.

They also have the ferric nitrate, which I haven't used yet, but some of the other guys have, and it seems to do fine for them. I have enough acid to last me for a while, so haven't felt the need to try it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back