• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couple new horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I made a new horn. This project started when got a very rough and fresh horn at a local rondy. After letting it dry I started working on it and thought it would be a good horn for the hunt starting in two days. Both horns have green stained wood (I've wanted to try that for awhile). I need to work on the color I think. The base wood on both is pine as is the stopper.

The black horn I started a year ago and had a, ahhh, accident, with drilling through the side, and put it aside.
P9210512.jpg

Working on the new horn got me jazzed to finish the black one. I patched the hole with some horn dust and filler and finished it with a raw hide wrap.
P9210510.jpg

It measures 14.5" along the curve and has a slight twist. Pegs holding the base plug are hard wood.
P9210508.jpg

This light one is thin which I like; it's great for seeing the powder level when held up to the light. I think I may do some basic scrim on this one, but I'm not sure. It measures 13" along the curve. Base plug held with iron nails and the attachment is an iron screw.
P9210514.jpg

P9210516.jpg

Here it is with the bag for one of my percussion guns.
P9210522.jpg

Any critisizm from the Horners out there are much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking. :grin:

You certainly do a better job on horns than I do. :thumbsup:

Not sure that wood screw belongs on that horn though. I think it needs a nice twisted staple...

That green stain really pops out the grain. Got some kewl grain pattern in the light colored horn's plug too. I kinda like 'em... and I don't like green stuff often... :thumbsup:

Thanks Swampy, I actually debated on the screw or a staple. :hmm: I had never used a screw so I thought I'd try.

Now, if after a week of hard hunting it doesn't work out, well, I'll repair the screw hole (or not) and apply a staple. But I'm kind of liking it. Very simple horn so I thought the screw would work. :grin:

Thanks Jethro.

I know what you mean on the green. I saw a Sibley horn once that was great with a green base.

I tried to get the grain to stand out, like it was kind of worn. I think I still need to work on it. The first attempt the wife said "it looks too Army". Hmm. :youcrazy: So I took it back some and hit it again with a bit more stain. I think I had it too thick.

Nothing to critize from this Horner, but then again, I don't judge anyone's work....period! As far as the screw in the base plug. I have seen alot of old horns with iron screws in them, but I also think it might of been a newer addition in some cases!....Good luck!

Rick...... :thumbsup:

Ditto what Horner said, I always thought that screws in the butt were replacements.

Instead of staining the butt, try painting it with milk paint. Original horns were painted. I once handled an original F&I horn made at Lake George, it still had flecks of green paint on the butt...
Scott

Goldhunter,
A bit more horn than I would carry,but do
appreciate the craftsmenship:applause::applause:

I have to admit, the green wood struck me as kinda weird. However, when you see it with the strap on and with your bag, it goes quite well. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Man I like the green stain, have a chest close to that color. The "milk house" paints have some really good colors like your stain.

Thanks for all the replies. The green was a thick water based craft stain I pick up. It's so thick though it's more like paint. Where can one find milk paint? I looked but could find it.

The screw being a replacment makes sense. :hmm: Maybe I got it backwards.

Any way, the strap stayed on it no problem; even with pushing through scrub oak for five days.

Oh, the deer is down; pictures later. :thumbsup:

The screw attachment worked; the strap never came off. I have decided to either shorten the strap or attach it to the bag itself. At 13" it carried well. In the sun the brown color really looks good; pictures don't do it justice.
P9270543.jpg

P9270539.jpg

Latest posts

Back