• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Could it be ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crockett said:
Thanks Chuck- I didn't want to rain on anyone's thing but when I saw it I thought repro of a late 1800's knife. Another point was that the bolster was rounded in front rather than dished. Even as a repro I would think the price still made it a good deal.
What about the condition of the blade- it looked pretty good to me to be an original. Any thoughts on that?
Levine's book has some other examples with blades that look like the one's still sold as Russell/Green River knives.
Not to sound argumentative but the bolster on the knife I have is dished and not round.

LaBonte said:
Claude said:
Google "acorn star handle". Made by Goodell.

$T2eC16F,!yEE9s5jDV0RBQKJd5cq3!~~60_3.JPG

p6408.jpg

The lower knife with the sheath I would agree is an original Goodell and it comes from a very highly regarded auction site with bonafide experts, but the upper knife IMO no way - too crude - compare the workmanship on the inlays and the bolster between the two. The upper one is also from Ebay - unfortunately a major home for crapola "copies" of "antiques" sold as originals.
When I first saw Fishers and the one on eBay, my first thought was "Pakistan". :confused:

There is one knife with the handle like that,acorn,star,bolster,shown in Gordon's Great Knife Makers for the Early West.The blade looks to be marked S.O'Dell,Star Hunter,Pat. Oct.6,1868.It states O'Dell was a gunsmith in Natchez,Mississippi by 1840 and was listed in business directories at least through the Civil war.The blade is not a butcher knife pattern blade but a hunting or camp knife pattern.

I never agreed on utaleterian things that a little cleaning and sureing up bothered anything,especialy if you gonna use it,and that is what they are for,a civilwar sword i may not do it on,but heck i would of cleaned and sured that up in heartbeat,but that's just me..I had a set of civil war utensils i cleaned up and traded for something else i wanted,i still have a bone toothbrush,i dug up on Main St here in town there used to be a post here,it ain't got no brissils and if anyone wants it they can have it,i do mostly native american and old west.

Back