• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting Trade Musket to Rifled?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanChamberlain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a Pedersoli trade musket that I was thinking (always dangerous) might make a handy .58. Anyone recommend this or think it would have an application? Would a barrel be available in that configuration or would I have to have the original lined?

You should look at Colerain 38" octagon to round barrel, though to fit the Pedersoli you'd need to shorten it. This might fit well if the wedding band location matches. They also make a Baker rifle barrel in .62. This is fully round though, and might need you to make stock modifications. There is also the Harper's Ferry 1803 barrel in .54 that might work.

LD

Ford, the bore is .62, I'll have to dig out my caliper to measure the outside diameter. Are you asking for at the muzzle or at the breech?

Bobby Hoyt could put a liner in your existing barrel. If the measurements agree, probably for .54. Otherwise I would expect that you would need a custom barrel fitted. BJH

Perhaps not as much as you would think.

A 54 cal shooting a 510 gr Buffalo conical in front of 100 grains of FF produces a breech pressure of 17,700 psi.

That 12 gauge, with a 494 grain patched round ball in front of the same 100 grains of FF only has a breech pressure of 4100 psi.

I do mot know who offers this, Maybe Hoyt or Rayl but you may want to consider straight rifling. Straight rifling is period correct and from what I've heard is it improves the roundball performance to nearly that of a rifle but the gun can still use shot as well.

Remember, it is only a 20 gauge.
I have a Pennsylvania longrifle in .62 cal. that has taken moose, deer, ground hog, and squirrel ( not much success in meat recovery)
It is a hoot to shoot.
Fred

I shoot a .62 Virginia rifle and the recoil is no worse than a 12 gauge shotgun. Just be sure the buttstock is seated firmly on your shoulder. One man's opinion!

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave

Back