• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert to flint or percussion...why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awp101

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As long as I'm asking questions... :haha:

I saw you can get a kit to convert your flint to percussion and vice versa.

Why? Is it just to suit whatever mood you happen to be in? :hmm:

I like my Contender because I can shoot rimfire or centerfire as my mood (and budget :shocked2: ) allow, is this kind of the same thing?

Thanks! :grin:

Might be good for guys who hunt PA's flintlock only season. They could switch to percussion during the regular season if they want.
Personally, I'd rather have two different rifles.

HD

OK, I can see that. Especially if the owner was limited for one reason or another to strictly one rifle.

OTOH I'm like you, sounds like a reason to buy TWO rifles! :haha:

Be very carefull. Once you get bit and it sounds like you may be. The blackpowder bug is what I'm talking about. If you go flint you rarely will ever go back to percussion. My percussions sit in the corner after I learned to shoot with a flint. Good luck. Fox :hatsoff:

Oh yeah, I been bit alright... :rotf:

A year and a half ago I picked up two Colt repro revolvers (.36 and .44) to try BP shooting since I figured every shooter needs to at least try BP once.

Since then those two revolvers have multiplied into 2 Rem 1858s, one Rem 1858 revolving rifle, a Colt 1849 Pocket, Enfield Musketoon and a Smith Artillery Carbine (all repros).

I also have on my short list a Ruger Old Army, Sharps 1859 or 1863 carbine and a .32 or .36 carbine (see my question posted a little further down).

Being a huge fan of the Sharpe's Rifles series of books and the Napoleonic Wars in general, a flint has GOT to be in my future in some form or another.... :rotf:

silverfox said:
Be very carefull. Once you get bit and it sounds like you may be. The blackpowder bug is what I'm talking about. If you go flint you rarely will ever go back to percussion. My percussions sit in the corner after I learned to shoot with a flint. Good luck. Fox :hatsoff:
You too, huh? About the only percussion I have shot for several years are my C&B revolvers and double shotguns. Now flints on the other hand.....Emery

When I was first starting out I bought a Dixie convertable kit. I thought it would be an easy way to ease into flintlock shooting. It ended up being a pain. The percussion configuration shot a few inches higher than the flint. After a few exchanges the it was difficult to get the drum to line up properly without a shim. I finally changed it to percussion and sold it. It financed my first flint scratch build.

Agreed, the most practical "switch-gun" is to switch the barrel as well as the lock. In that way one can add different calibers, and barrel styles as well, at least so on a half-stock. I have one T/C renegade with three barrels, the original worthless 26" .50 percussion, a 31" Sharon .54 percussion and a Track of Wolf 36" half-round .62 smoothbore flint barrel which I team with an RPL lock. So is it three-guns-
in-one
, not really, but it is a percussion rifle and a flint smoothbore on one stock, shame its not a very nice stock. :grin:

Latest posts

Back