• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Contacted Hodgdon regarding cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t believe any of these posts mention the need to completely disassemble the revolver, in fact it seems at least one shooter only removes the grips (requires some disassembly). I’ve had my 1851 Navy for 40 years and hate taking it apart - I can clean two rifles in the time I spend on this revolver - so I don’t shoot it often. I’m pretty sure that just soaking it in Dawn /water or even Ballistol w/water without many patches and a brass brush on steel components won’t get it clean. I really like to hear that I’m wrong and there’s a better/quicker way. Jeff
You do not need to completely disassemble the revolver to clean it.
If you shoot a lot, 3 or 4 complete tear downs a year are enough.

Am I wrong? I send a dry patch down to keep anything from entering the breach then patch with dawn and water after 5 or 6 patch changes I patch until they come out clean. I pull the once dry now wet patch by twisting with a patch puller. I send a patch to wipe and dry bore down to the breach. I pull the liner use a long wood Q-tip to clean passage (cva breach on a flintlock } clean the liner reassemble .Finally send a bore butter patch down to breach then a quick pass with a clean dry patch and put up till next shooting session I use 4f swiss in the pan 2f swiss or trip7 behind a.15 patch .490 ball 50 cal Traditions Hawken flintlock. Any opinions right or wrong?
Bore butter is a line for conicals. It’s not a protectant. Ugh.

You do not need to completely disassemble the revolver to clean it.
If you shoot a lot, 3 or 4 complete tear downs a year are enough.
100% this!!!
For about fifty years after every shooting session (I shoot weekly, often daily) I would clean the chambers, bore, and exterior surfaces then squirt a shot of CLP into the action. Every year tear the gun down completely, clean out the black gunk (never any corrosion) reassemble and repeat. Maybe 5 years ago @45D suggested filling the action with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. That’s the current regime. I have one gun I use maybe once a month and it hasn’t been torn down in 3 years. I suspect more people would shoot these guns if they knew that they’re really not much more difficult to maintain than a modern cartridge revolver.

Back