• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Considering trying some 3F in my .54 GPR, anyone out there ever do so?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has ever used 3f BP out of a .54 with RB. Years ago I had an old Renegade .54 that shot RB and I'm thinking I used 3F but I am not sure about it. I know there are listings for such. And yes, I know 2F is recommended but there are listings for 3F.

If you have used 3F (especially in a GPR) please post up your results, accuracy, load, etc.

Just wondering if anyone out there has ever used 3f BP out of a .54 with RB. Years ago I had an old Renegade .54 that shot RB and I'm thinking I used 3F but I am not sure about it. I know there are listings for such. And yes, I know 2F is recommended but there are listings for 3F.

If you have used 3F (especially in a GPR) please post up your results, accuracy, load, etc.
Should not be a problem at all. Just test shooting results before hunting! I bet you get a ton of advice on this question as there seem to be lots of experienced GPR shooters here.

lyman GPR. Flintlock .54 65g fffg. 50 yards. .014 bear grease lubed .535 ball. off the bench
1689693823385.png

View attachment 237230

Last edited:
I use it in most. Just trying new powders. FYI 1F in a .58 Cabelas Hawking tightened up my groups substaintly over 2f or 3f. Also raised POA about 6 inches at 65 yds. Got a 3 shot 3/4" group though.

Very nice. I need to get back out soon and do more experimenting with mine. Mine was scattering them all over the paper at 50 yards with 80, 85 and 90 grains of 2F and .530 RB. However, I found the rear buckhorn sight was loose and no doubt moving about at its own will. I hope I didn't make a mistake of buying two boxes of .530 RB instead of .535 RB.

.530 ball, 15 thousand patch, 80gr. 3-F Homemade lube- bees wax Crisco olive oil Deer death in my mountain rifle. Most of my deer are killed at 50 yards or under the furthest one was 90 paces I have a pretty long stride so figured right around 100 yards.

I had a loose sight on one of my guns and found it would move when I settled the powder. I shimmed it, but no longer hit the side to settle the powder.

I just checked and saw where my 20ga smoothie preferred 3F, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back