• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coning Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to get a coning tool? I've heard of one made by a fellow named Joe Woods, but I can't seem to figure out where he is.

Also any thoughts, (i.e. horror stories or attaboys) on coning would be appreciated.

Thinking of coning a .36 calibre 36 inch long barrel.

Thanks for any help.

Here ya go:

Joe Wood
The Firelock Shop
5311 Briar St.
Amarillo, TX 79109

(806) 352-3032

[email protected]

:thumbsup:

I have found the smaller the bore the more/easier the emery paper screws up & the less pressure needed. Be sure thte paper covers all the tape on the tool or it will grab the paper & wad it all up. It can get a lil aggravating at times but the tool works & does a decent job, or has so far for me.

I use Brake Drum Cleaner (NAPA) to clean off the glue & then spray it with Ballistol & wipe dry for storage to keep it from corroding.

If I remember correctly, they cost about $39.95 each plus shipping.

The coning tool is a tool used in the muzzle that you use to taper/cone the bore of the muzzle so you can push a patched RB into the bore & start it down with the ramrod or at least start it quite easily with a short starter.

:results:

Coning also protects the important part of the muzzle - the edge that is the last thing the ball touches on the way out. If that edge is back a bit, it's harder to ding it by accidentally smacking the muzzle.
Coning is a good thing.

I've done a .36, 3 .50's and 2 .54's with Joe's coning tools. I only keep a short starter around now in case I pick up a new rifle and can't wait to cone it before I shoot it. Not having my son's .54 coned last year cost me a 2nd deer that came into view almost immediately after I shot the first one. It layed down about 7 yards from me and there was no way I could smack the short starter without spookin it, so I just kind of admired it.
I can say this. The barrel on the .36 I had was a bit odd sized, but Joe kept working with me and on the 3rd try, we got one that worked. Since measuerments on #2 were my fault, he only charged me half price for the final one when he could have easily charged me full price. That's the reason I ordered the .54 coning tool from him.

On all 6 rifles there was no negative effects on accuracy. You just follow the directions Joe sends out.

Scott
:results:

We need to set up a coning tool trade list for all of these guys. Just buy the one for your favorite and then trade off with others for your other guns.

CS

All right, I'll bite. Who has a .62 coning tool that will trade for a .50 ca? My email is on the profiles.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nose nuggets....

'scuse me while I go slam my head in a drawer.

:master: :redface: boy do I feel like a dope...the thought never crossed my mind...

Joe & I e- mailed nack and forth. The tools are caliber- specific; you'll need one tool for each bore size. They cost $38.00

Many thanks to all who posted, and sent me in the right direction. Mr. Woods is a very accomodating fellow- easy to work with and very helpful.

He also makes a really good tool... money well spent!

Thanks again!

MSW

Back