• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals for Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is for the original poster.

Find someone that is setup in casting and offer to buy 50 of the Lee REAL bullets in 200 grain configuration. Lube those with something like SPG blackpowder lube and head for the range.

Ramshackle Homesteading uses these to great effect in 45 cal. Do not know his rate of twist but get you some of these and let er rip. You will not harm your SMR and using several loads (I'd start with 50 grains and ladder up to 80 grains in 1/2grain increments). This should allow you to scratch your itch and learn more in the bargain.

My rifle isn't a Kibler; it's a Colerain with 1:56" twist in .45 cal. I've gotten decent accuracy from the short (200 grain) LEE R.E.A.L bullet. I used stout powder charges and an Ox-Yoke .50 cal felt wad under the bullet. I find it very disconcerting to load: there's a bit of resistance getting the bullet started at the muzzle; after that it just slides easily down the bore, and the idea of a load that isn't "tight" just feels wrong.

I don't know. If I knew I wouldn't be asking you guys, would I? :cool:

One diameter .44 cal round balls come in is .451 - if somebody's making conicals for .44 cal revolvers - and they are (but I don't know what diameters are available or who has them) - maybe those would work. Dunno. It's all a learning experience. Research ongoing. Partially here.

If it turns out I have to cast my own then the project is off. I'm way too far from being into that yet.
Well, sir, if you're not casting it will get to be a chore to find out what the piece likes.
That said, the idea that deep groove barrels will not shoot long bullets is erroneous. However, to prevent gas cutting you must have enough bullet weight and pressure behind it to almost instantly fill up those grooves. And long heavy bullets require a fast enough twist to maintain a straight path through the air.
So, if you have a deep groove barrel with a slow twist then how do you up your "weight of shot"?
It's easy!
Use double round ball loads, just like has always been done with round ball rifles.

Back