• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Combination pyrite firelock and matchlock petronel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While looking for examples of petronels, I came across this fascinating combination of firelock and matchlock:
Petronel 1572 klein.jpg

Halbhaken (Petronel, Petrinal) 1572
English articles on the same site:
Firearms of the Thirty Years War

It is a beautiful replica based on two examples, one in Veste Coburg and the other in the Tøjhusmuseet. This gun was made some years ago by the Bavarian gunsmith, Armin Koenig. The long bar operates the serpentine, while the small trigger further back operates the cock.

I contacted the site own and article author, Peter Engerisser, and the maker, Armin Koenig, about the buttstock because of my recent interest in petronels and my constant curiosity if they have metal butt plates or not. Armin confirmed it did not.
PyriteLockPetronelStock.jpg

The part that is probably most interesting to everyone else (and was lost in google translate) is that this is not a flintlock, but a pyrite lock. Pyrite is used in wheellocks, so it does make some sense that it would be tried in other firelocks. Armin described how it was a very unreliable system, which resulted in the rarity of the type. Previously, I had assumed all of the firelock and matchlock combination weapons (wheellock+matchlocks as some of the most common) I have seen were a result of institutional conservatism in the military, with them not wanting to fully trust a new system, but this is a great example of why there would be hesitation to adopt a new system.

Images and information have been posted with Peter Engerisser's and Armin Koenig's permission.

Back