• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colts Dragoon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel

Cannon
Reaction score
Any of you Dragoon shooters happen to know what kinda velocity and energy you can get from max loads with both rd. balls and a conical? Would it be suited to hunting small deer with either? What is the max 3f powder charge in one? Any and all Dragoon info welcome. Thanks.
Rod

Rebel said:
Any of you Dragoon shooters happen to know what kinda velocity and energy you can get from max loads with both rd. balls and a conical? Would it be suited to hunting small deer with either? What is the max 3f powder charge in one? Any and all Dragoon info welcome. Thanks.
Rod

Hi Rod!

My 3rd Model Dragoon will hold 45 grains of 3Fg Goex, a lubed wonder-wad, and a .454 ball. I shot this load over a chrono and it made almost 1100 FPS. The balls just make it under the chamber mouths so that the cylinder can turn. Only way to get 50 grains in is to loose the wad and put lube over the balls. I stick to the 45 grain charge, cause I shoot "in the leather", and don't want lube running into the holster.

The big Dragoon is almost a Walker! The most accurate load so far is 40 grains of 3Fg, the lubed wad, and then the .454 ball.

As far as "deer worthiness", although I haven't yet had the pleasure of hand gun hunting, rifle PRB's are moving faster, but you only get one chance with the rifle and you have 5-6 with the revolver :hmm: . If you can work in close and get superior shot placement, that 45 grain charge should knock it down real good!

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Dave

Hey Dave, i thought you might be one of the responders as you shoot the big Boys. :haha: i don't actually have a Dragoon yet. I am trying to decide between it and the '60 Army. I sure like the looks and feel of the '60 and it doesn't hold that much less powder than the Dragoon at nearly half the weight. Sure would like to find a good deal on one or the other of them. Been checking the different classifieds, but so far no luck. One will turn up though. Just a matter of time.

I have both and can shoot both well! My son's new Christmas present is a '60 Army with charcoal blue fluted cylinder. 27 grains does the trick and I can hit DEEP into the black of a B-19 target from 50 yards distance!

For deer, I'd get the Dragoon and load her up!

For paper, NOTHING beats the Uberti '60 Army charcoal with fluted cylinder. The balance, the grip, the lighter weight, sights, the whole package.

So ya gotta ask yerself just one question: Are ya shootin paper or meat?? Yer answer will tell ya what to buy!

Either way, they're both great guns and you can't go wrong! :thumbsup:

Dave

The issue isn't how much powder the two guns will hold; it's how accurate they are with those loads. The Dragoon will shoot a heavy load more accurately than an 1860 Army, at least in my experience.

I have 4 different 1860 Army revolvers and two different Dragoons. The most accurate loads in the 1860 Armies is, on average, 30 grains fffg. The Dragoons will shoot accurately with 40 grains fffg. That 10 grains makes a big difference to a .454 round ball.

I would not take on a decent sized Michigan whitetail with a 30 grain load, and anything more than that I don't believe I can shoot accurately. However, I believe I can shoot the Dragoon accurately enough at 40 yards to make a heart or lung shot and have enough energy at that distance to penetrate those organs.

Probably 99% paper. And the '60 Army sure is a nice looking great feeling gun. Got an extra ya don't need? :haha:

Rod,

Only have the new one I bought as the Christmas present for the son! Two other friends of ours have the exact same model revolver and all three are real shooters! Fit & finish remind me of Cimmiron.

Put 4 balls into the ten ring at 50 yards the last time I tried and made Expert with the '60 Army!

mykeals advice is spot-on as far as deer goes!

Dave

Sounds good. As for deer, it would have to be a survival situation before i shot one with a BP revolver. But i do love to target shoot and plink. The little brass framed Confederate Navy .44 i have is a darn good shooter but i need another gun to balance things out. :haha:

Kool!

I'm 3 full hours ahead of you here on the East coast, and I'm starting to peter-out for tonight. Snow storm 6"-2 feet is due to hit tonight, so have to call it a night...will check the thread tomorrow.

Good night Rod & chat soon!

Dave

Hey guys I have a 2nd Dragoon & 2 .44 navies,[rebel type],even loaded to the max the stopping power of the Dragoon is around the same as a .38 special. Your shot placement would have to be very good .

Yes, you're right. Shot placement is the key!

I'd use the Walker...even more accurate, and the 9" barrel and extra long powder chamber (cylinder) gets me a 10% increase in speed over the Dragoon :wink: . About that of a .357 Magnum, only that soft lead ball hits some bone or hard muscle and it will open up to almost double in size at that speed. At 40 yards or less, a good shot would definitely put meat in the freezer! :thumbsup:

Dave

You better check your games laws. In Kansas, anyway, the smallest BP pistol allowed is .45 cal.

The Dragoon is a .45 technically. It shoots a .454 rd ball as compared to the .440 rd ball fired by a so called .45 pistol. So actually the .45 pistol is really a .44 cal.

I don't care about energy numbers...I think a .45 ball from a fully loaded Dragoon has way more punch than a .38 Special. Maybe I just read to much of Elmer Keith's "Sixguns" :grin:

ebiggs is right , check those regulations. In Kansas there are requirements on barrel length and bullet design and weight also. In some states you may get by with it in the Regular firearms seasons.
Jon
PS - Found some states regs online and put a few in the Hunting Regs section.

You know I'm just not sure. Here in Kansas, you may get by with it but I am positive you would get hasseled. They would look at the barrel and it says .44 cal. I know you can point out it is in actuallty a .454 ball. I just don't think I would want to run the risk of my gun being confiscated on a technicality.
I know the place where we hunt in Colorado, there is no way I would try it. Those game wardens are brutal.

Exactly, math is one thing...but actual killing power in the field is another. Don't understimate the deadly round ball. :wink:

Back