• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt signature series 1861 Springfield rifled musket.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I own 3rd generation signature series Colt pistols, a WAlker and a 1860 army. I recently saw an ad for a 3rd gen signature series Colt 1861 Springfield rifle.
I didn’t even know they had been made. Has anyone had any experience with these? I am looking for a rifle to shoot and the asking price on the colt was a couple hundred more than a new Italian import. Would the colt be worth the premium? It was used, but looked to be in excellent shape.
thanks,
GreyGus

It's not an 1861 Springfield but is an 1861 Colt Special Model, quite a different gun from an 1861 Springfield. A limited import and virtually no parts available.

Spend the same amount of money and get a good condition original musket to shoot. An antique Springfield or Colt Special Musket will be superior in build quality to any Italian repro, and if any parts ever break (doubtful), are easily procured from several sources. Italian black powder guns have set metallurgy back about 500 years, and you WILL replace parts on those.

Good luck finding lock parts if you ever need them. They are unobtainium.
Nothing will fit them.

Dave
Mmmm ... I found nipples. I can't visualize any other parts I might need. Unless I booger a screw head, though I understand some Springfield screws fit. If I come across a bayonet, that would be cool. But the Springfield bayonet also fits, so that's not a problem. I'll cross those bridges when and if I have to and not worried about it right now.

Back