• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1851 Navy .36 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1677389822623.jpeg
Note the flame in the center of the smoke

I have the book , written 70 years ago on how they handled and repaired 51 navy colts in the 1800's. he says that the pins are screwed in on the originals, and can be loosened to allow a tighter fit.
never tried it myself, but there it is...Ken

Well, Dobe, that was a little bit of fun. As a kid I gobbled up everything I could get from Skeeter(and Elmer). Have some autographed books from Elmer and the later compilation books by Skeeter. Those two were the main driving force in my lifelong interest in shooting. In other sites that I frequent, I utilize a quote attributed to Skeeter--' I'm the luckiest man in the world. I've got a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". I've been blessed with all three of those as well.
P.S. On those other sites I use My SASS alias "Navy Six" so you are shooting my favorite gun!!

Well, Dobe, that was a little bit of fun. As a kid I gobbled up everything I could get from Skeeter(and Elmer). Have some autographed books from Elmer and the later compilation books by Skeeter. Those two were the main driving force in my lifelong interest in shooting. In other sites that I frequent, I utilize a quote attributed to Skeeter--' I'm the luckiest man in the world. I've got a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". I've been blessed with all three of those as well.
P.S. On those other sites I use My SASS alias "Navy Six" so you are shooting my favorite gun!!
Well Navy Six until a few weeks ago I never owned a Colt 1851 Navy .36 was content with the pair of Ruger Old Armies but sometimes things just happen. I was talking to a buddy who is a huge .36 navy guy about the different ones available and started looking around the internet, 2 days later stopped at a garage sale and there was a brand new in the box Colt second generation 1851 Navy and a.44 3model dragoon for sale, the lady said $800 if I bought the pair (called my buddy and he wanted the 3rd model dragoon) so I bought the pair. The picture was my first shots with the gun,20 grains of FFFg and ball. And yes I am an absolute Skeeter/Elmer devotee having all of their books except Elmer’s Safari book.Am also blessed with a good wife 45 years, good dog and numerous good sixguns.

If I had to choose, I'd have to say the 1851 .36 Colt Navy and it's Confederate copies are my favorite percussion revolvers.

The Walkers and Dragoons are a very close 2nd. The Navies are just fun to shoot at the range , and are almost always very user friendly. The big Horse pistols can be finicky.

Not to rub it in Dobe, but SAFARI is one of the books I had Elmer autograph. Way back when Elmer Keith was writing for GUNS & AMMO magazine he advertised that he had a stack of many of his books and would be glad to autograph them. All you had to do was order them from him. I also had previously written him about some Colt SAA questions and he actually corresponded back. I cherish that letter and it sure is better than getting a text or E-mail back from someone like you do today.
You did good on your garage sale. I have seen the 2nd Gen Dragoons go for that $800 by themselves. BUT.....you could have called me first!! I thought we were old friends!

The 3rd Model Dragoon
I have the exact same gun, the F series 2nd Gen Colt 3rd Model Dragoon

The historically correct rifling is a plus for me. I went after a 2nd one so I'd have a brace , but it went too high.

Lots of fun, I have it loaded with 5 beans in the wheel in my car right now , along with an "unmentionable " as my to and from work pieces

Latest posts

Back