• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Color case and browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looked at percussion revolver with case color frame. Barrel, cylinder and other metal parts were cleaned to blue? Gun was cheap. Would browning instead of blueing give an aged look?

If you browned it and then steel wooled most of it off back to a gray color, it would definitely look aged.

Mountain Dewd said:
If you browned it and then steel wooled most of it off back to a gray color, it would definitely look aged.

+1, this technique works very well with regular bluing as well. I personally very much dislike a blued finish on a muzzleloader but have experimented with bluing agents and a rubbed back finish, makes for a very nice aged finish if you use patience!

:hatsoff:

I use a lot of rust bluing and LMF browning for black powder cartridge guns and muzzle loaders.
I find the Neidner rust bluing to be one of my favorite finishes although the last black powder cartridge gun I made last year on a rolling block action was browned on barrel and furniture.
It looks really good on both the muzzle loaders and cartridge guns.
LMF is easier to do and takes less time.

I used steel wool to remove a lot of bluing and then added more bluing, and removing it, until I got the look that I liked. The pistol was an Italian copy of 1860 Colt. It looked so good, that I sold it for more than I paid for it. I also refinish the grips in dark walnut with oil finish, with no gloss, which added a lot of character to the pistol.

I've never tried browning to age a pistol. I have done browning as a finished gun. I'm uncertain how it would look after pulling some of the browning back. I have seen some rifles where the barrel was almost in the white, with noticeable pitting. I wonder if they browned it to the point of pitting, then removed all the browning.

Sir, that is the look I want. A friend said he believes this is a parts gun. I have used blues of different types over the years and different finishes. Browning is something I have had limited experience with but like the results so far. For what it cost the parts were worth more so worst case can't lose.

Latest posts

Back