• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain .54 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varsity07840

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Coelerain barrel for an 1817 Common rifle as part of a lot of parts on auction. My intent was to sell it but if that doesn't work out, I may take a stab at building an 1817. I've never owned a Colerain and I'm a bit curious about the 1/56 twist. It seems kind of fast for round ballin a .54. Does anyone have any experience with .54 Colerains with this twist rate?

Thanks in advance,

Duane

The most accurate muzzleloader I've ever owned was built by Jack Hubbard using a .54 Colerain. You just couldn't miss with that gun.

thats a good twist for a roundball. Its when ya get down to below 1/48 when you start to have problems. My .50 colerain is 1/70 and does real good.

I had one thta was as accurate as GM,Getz,Douglas or any of the imported barrels, I would not hesitate to use it.

My 44" LC Rice has the "Sharon" twist (very deep asymetrical round gooves 1 turn in 72") and he said it was built for stiff loads and accuracy. He also produces only match grade bores with NO loose or tight spots and his dimensions are scary accurate. :thumbsup:

-Ray

Duane said:
I recently acquired a Coelerain barrel for an 1817 Common rifle as part of a lot of parts on auction. My intent was to sell it but if that doesn't work out, I may take a stab at building an 1817. I've never owned a Colerain and I'm a bit curious about the 1/56 twist. It seems kind of fast for round ballin a .54. Does anyone have any experience with .54 Colerains with this twist rate?

Thanks in advance,

Duane

I had Douglas cut a .50X1" barrel in 1:56 twist. Able to get good accuracy with lighter charges (50-60 gr FFg) than the previous Douglas .50X1" w/ 1:66 twist. And it will still group 90 gr FFg at 100 under 2". No reason to expect anydifferent with the .54 Colerain.
TC

Back