• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold comfort rabbit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George said:
Griz44Mag said:

I don't know where you ran across this painting of Brits, Spence. I'm tickled that you posted it though, as I'm sure he is as well.

I especially like the dramatic posture he posed with. Looks as though his neighbor caught him poaching his prized, gigantic, pet rabbit out of the garden. And...the neighbor looks none to pleased about it. :haha:

So tell us Nate, am I on the right track?

What's the rest of the story, friend??? :idunno:

Inquiring minds want to know, Skychief :hatsoff:

Skychief said:
George said:
Griz44Mag said:

I don't know where you ran across this painting of Brits, Spence. I'm tickled that you posted it though, as I'm sure he is as well.

I especially like the dramatic posture he posed with. Looks as though his neighbor caught him poaching his prized, gigantic, pet rabbit out of the garden. And...the neighbor looks none to pleased about it. :haha:

Ok, ok.
The dog in the picture is sniffing my hand due to the fact that I had an incredible itch I just could not resist any longer. My assistant whome has just dragged the huge pet rabbit from next doors garden is annoyed over the lousy shot puncturing the guts and the guy stood on the oil drum is watching out for the neighbors car!

B.

The real story of the painting is nowhere near as much fun. It was painted 1725-1730 by Joseph Van Aken (1699-1749) and is titled "A Sportsman and his Servant in the Grounds of a Country House." It’s an English Scene.

The reason I have it is for the neat belt bag the sportsman has around his waist.

Spence

N.B. Brits, let me ask a question, please. In his 1727 poem, "Pteryplegia: or the Art of Shooting-Flying, A Poem", George Markland used the term 'Puss' for a rabbit, and 'lurchers' for the dogs. Are those terms still used in England today?

George said:
The real story of the painting is nowhere near as much fun. It was painted 1725-1730 by Joseph Van Aken (1699-1749) and is titled "A Sportsman and his Servant in the Grounds of a Country House." It’s an English Scene.

The reason I have it is for the neat belt bag the sportsman has around his waist.

Spence

N.B. Brits, let me ask a question, please. In his 1727 poem, "Pteryplegia: or the Art of Shooting-Flying, A Poem", George Markland used the term 'Puss' for a rabbit, and 'lurchers' for the dogs. Are those terms still used in England today?
Lurchers yes, Jess is a small lurcher, whippet crosses and greyhound crosses, running dogs like deer and wolf hounds, saluki and others crossed with something else for hunting.
Puss not often used any more, usually a term applied to a pet cat nowadays.

B.

Thinking some more on this I delved a little deeper, hares are a Lepus!

Maybe the name "pus" has its origins in the Latin name for hare species'!

B.

Britsmoothy said:
Skychief said:
George said:
Griz44Mag said:

Ok, ok.
The dog in the picture is sniffing my hand due to the fact that I had an incredible itch I just could not resist any longer. My assistant whome has just dragged the huge pet rabbit from next doors garden is annoyed over the lousy shot puncturing the guts and the guy stood on the oil drum is watching out for the neighbors car!

B.

:haha: :haha: :haha:
Thanks for filling in the gaps Nate. :thumbsup:

The whole story is known now.

Much appreciated, Skychief :hatsoff:

George said:
Griz44Mag said:
Nice fat hopper there.
I've always been impressed by the huge English rabbits, but I guess they have always been that way. Here is a painting of Brits in his younger days, look at the size of that rabbit!

Spence
You will find that most of the gentry of that period of the large estates were not shooting men this is a typical pose for the artist .In that period they were more interested in horse racing it was not till the late percussion and early breech loading period that we see estate owners taking up the sport
I have records of many large estates that I have researched over the last 40 plus years that show that most game on these large estates were shot by the game keepers for the big estate house table and the owners friends.
Records show that certain types of traps were erected on these estates such has Duck blinds where duck were driven down a lake and into a net covered blind by a specially trained dog of which a brown dog was best .
Another type was a enclosed rabbit warren where rabbits were breed in an enclosure surround .They also used nets and snares .
Feltwad

Back