• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coca Cola for rust removal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Seeing all the different concoctions and methods for rust removal, I have read on some cast iron cooking websites and forums that some people use Coca Cola for rust removal. They just pour it into the pan and let it soak. I was wondering if anyone uses that method for rust removal in their barrels. Thoughts/comments?

Coca Cola is acidic and acid removes rust.

I'd rather drink the Coca Cola while using a green scrubby pad or Naval Jelly (which contains phosphoric acid, the same acid present in the Coke).

Would NOT be my first choice, I have never tried it but I am under the impression that it dissolves steel quite well. You want the rust gone not the steel gone / etched

I personally, for very rusty guns I use the molasses mix or the electrolytic rust removal

William Alexander

Coke contains phosphoric which is what will help cut trough the rust. This is the same acid, albeit food grade as used in Naval Jelly and any other blue or rust removers.

Drink the Coke and use Naval Jelly or even better get some Evapo-Rust - a non-toxic rust remover that works great. http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
That evapo rust looks like a pretty good product. Was using some naval jelly this morning and it was not working well at all. Wonder if it loses effectiveness with age?

Heard you are not feeling well. Hope you're doing better.

Now that Evapo-Rust has hit the market why would anyone use anything else including all kinds of homemade concoctions none of which even begin to approach Evapo-Rust (and it doesn't etch the steel like Navel Jelly).

Thanks for the link to that Labonte. Next time I need to de-rust anything, I will give your suggestion a try. :bow:

I have never used coca cola to remove rust. But I have often used it to brown barrels! :idunno:

My father-in-law does old tractors for a hobby. He's used Coke to free a piston in a John Deere "B" before. :shocked2:

how did you use it to brown a barrel? What is involved? please do tell. This sounds interesting.

smoothshooter said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the water / molasses ratio?

I used 7-1 water to molasses with great results on a SEVERELY rusted ROA cylinder, It did fade the blue abit but worked GREAT. Soaked three days, scrubbed soaked two days, scrubbed and was done. Bought a gallon for less than $3.00 (1/3 the cost of shipping if you have to mail order evapo rust) at the feed store and got alot left (even after the girl spilled 1/4 of it in the floor of the corolla!)

Being the curious type (some say I'm very curious :grin: ), I wanted to check the MSDS for Evapo-Rust.

The MSDS says its basically harmless and uses a "chelator/detergent".

After a bit of digging I found this link which I think is quite interesting. You might want to check it out. :)
http://jbosh1972.hubpages.com/hub/Rust-removal-by-chelation

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on just what I am doing but 5 to 15 parts water to 1 part feed store molasses
Around 7 to 1 would be good. Mix it well.
Put your part in a container and put an amount of the mix to cover the part.

I use it for very rusty guns, I leave the part in the mix 1 to 4 weeks.

William Alexander

To brown a barrel with coca cola I first plug both ends with rubber "corks" clean the barrel well with acetone (brake cleaner).Rinse with water. Then immerse it in a pcv pipe and fill the pipe with the coca cola. Then let it set for 24 hours. This gives a nice even brown ,assuming you got the barrel really clean to start.One two litter bottle of Coca cola will do a barrel nicely with enough left over for the kids to have a swig . :idunno: :idunno:

Latest posts

Back