• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Co2 unloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I recently had to unload a ball from my flintlock rifle, and it was a pain. I ended up breaking the cleaning rod inside the barrel along with the lead ball. I finally removed it, but I wondered if one of those CO2 unloaders was worth the money.

You do have to be certain that the flint lock tip properly seals off the touch hole. A needle inflator valve that is tapered to the touch hole seems to work well. A soft rubber tip also works. Some the touch hole liners that are slotted are very difficult to seal off. CO2 dischargers do work.

I carry both a ball screw that I can screw onto my ram rod and I also carry a CO2 ball discharger. I purchased the CO2 discharger shown on the right about 30 years ago and it served me well when needed. I purchased the one on the left
CO2 Ball dislodger- new vs old -2.JPG
CO2 Ball dislodger-2 (1).JPG
about 4 years ago because it had a bigger capacity CO2 cylinder. The newer one is for filling bicycle tires and did not come with any attachments for ML guns. I made the flintlock nozzle from K&S brass tubing that I soldered together and soldered it to a tire screw on valve. I put a small leather washer on the end to act as a seal. You need to remove the Schrader valve - Works great

They work. Also if you know for a fact you didn't dry ball and it just won't go off, thin, green cheap bottle rocket fuse works great. Sprinkle in a bit of 4f twist in fuse and light. Old timer taught me that when I was a kid.

Hi, I recently had to unload a ball from my flintlock rifle, and it was a pain. I ended up breaking the cleaning rod inside the barrel along with the lead ball. I finally removed it, but I wondered if one of those CO2 unloaders was worth the money.
I’ve used CO2 cartridges for years. Walk the trails at various Rhondys and usually have to use it at leas once. One cartridge work for about three dry balls. Had one time it didn’t work. It was a complete double very tight load. It comes ready to use for a perc. but a flint adapter can be purchased.
Doc,

I know a grease gun works.
Does a bicycle pump work?
Or one of the cheapo tire pumps like you plug into the cigarette lighter?

Oh, well, at Fort Massac we had one of our old working rods break off at the tip and the jag. We didn't have a screw tip remover that would start in the wood left in the tip. I forgot to put the flint lock touch hole plug in my collection of tools, but I did have a pan charger full of 4F powder. There charges from the pan primer moved the blocked jag a little bit, but the large tough hole let out too much pressure. I then made sure we used about six charges with maybe 1 or two more for bit more boost. This time the charge drove the tip and jag into the ground. Thank goodness for the hard pan soil that we were able to dig it out of the ground. Yes, the tip was cross pinned ( twice) with the rod broken off at the edge of the tip. Another bore blockage successfully removed.

Back