• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning old iron pots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the caveate when scounging old cookware from yard sales and flea markets..., you don't always know how they were used prior to your purchase.

For example, on Monday, the day after the weekend yard sale where you found that very cool and very cheap iron pot, the seller's husband might be in the garage saying to her,
"Honey what happened to that old cast iron pot that I use to clean car parts?"

:shocked2: :barf:

LD

A lot of my cast iron was purchased at antique shops and flea markets. I simply scrub well with green pads then rub inside and outside with lard and put in oven for a couple hours at 300 degrees.
Never have tried the camp fire technique, will have to.
Yes, used pots can present unknown hazards. I use some cast iron for melting lead. My intention is to smash up when my casting days are over.

A topic near and dear to my heart! I am addicted to cast iron! I buy at flea markets, yard sales, and auctions; mostly because I enjoy refurbishing it. I use the fire and brush method. I keep a big pile of old white oak barn lumber that has been dry for 50 years. I just build a good oak fire in an open pit and wait for it to reach a nice red glow.(low flame, with little smoke) Then, I add iron. If it has a heavy build-up, you can literally see it turn gray/white and begin flaking off. At night, you can see the iron itself reach a red glow. After I remove it from the fire, I let it sit until it is cool to the touch, and then attack it with a series of wire brushes on a power drill. This will remove the build-up flakes and rust. Once it is clean, I re-coat with olive oil, or vegetable oil, and place in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees. (do this while your wife it away, it does tend to smell up the house) When it comes out, it will look like new "Lodge" ware, and water will bead off it like a freshly polished car. I agree with other posts that the build up is what really makes cast iron cook well, but I prefer to be the one who adds the gunk to my iron. I do avoid small pots, as they have the greatest chance of having been used to melt lead. Sure, there is no way to know what purpose iron served in its' past life, but most well-used skillets and pots got their build-up the honest way...they earned it.

Lot of good ideas here for cleaning the pots. I use dish soap and a stanless steel scrubber to clean as well as possible then go to the fire. For fire however, I use a butane weed burner. The best fat that I have found, is suet from a store that cut their own meat.(talk to the butcher and he will save it for you) I keep 5 lbs or so in my freezer all the time. The only tip that I can offer, that I have not seen mentioned here. is to place a paper towelinside each pot with the lid on it to keep them dry. I have some pots that have not been used in over a year that are rusty on the outside but still clean, black ane ready to cook. When I do use them, I will render some suet in them first and they will have not have any off flavor to pass on to foods cooked in them. Frying bacon does a good job also but the suet is cheaper and just smells so good.
Tom

A food safe cold method to clean rusty cast iron is citric acid. One cup to a gallon of hot water. Light rust converts in minutes, heavy will take longer. You can buy citric acid crystal at at any brewers or wine makers supply.

To clean aluminum make a paste of baking soda, and peroxide...takes the baked on brown right off.

Latest posts

Back