• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Advice.....?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of going too far, when was the last time you put some Mercurochrome on one of your cuts?

I'm betting that there are dozens of our members who don't even know what Mercurochrome is let alone knowing anything about the bright orange/red color it made.

Not you old farts though. I doubt that there are hardly any of you who weren't coated with the stuff on your bangs and scrapes when you were a kid. It was a trophy to wear and proudly display to your friends.

Anyway, for you young folks, Mercurochrome was a alcohol based anti-biotic that ALL moms would paint on any nick, scrape or cut they happened to see on their kids back in the '50-'70's.
It always left a orange/red stain that lasted for at least a week.

The Government decided that it contains mercury so even though it had been used for decades they decided it should be removed from interstate commerce.
Although they acknowledge that no evidence of mercury or Mercurochrome poisoning existed on those who were treated with it they won't allow it to be sold across State lines.

They did leave the door open for any company who wants to, to spend the millions of dollars to prove it is safe but with the modern mercury scare that folks now have it probably wouldn't sell on today's market.

I remember being coated with that stuff! :)

I also remember the famous Shell No-Pest Strip. Worked so well that flys would circle the thing like a moth to a flame, then drop dead in my food :shocked2: . We picked-out the fly and keep eating, cause NOTHING was wasted!

I used to hide my injuries to avoid that stuff. Not because it was dangerous (I think it worked) but because it stung a lot.

Latest posts

Back