• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christmas Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some paper cartridges I’ve recently made for my Walker from gift tissue paper. I usually use the white kind, but now that Christmas is coming up I got the idea to try the other colors. Thought it looked interesting. Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpeg
    IMG_3032.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3033.jpeg
    IMG_3033.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3034.jpeg
    IMG_3034.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
No need to nitrate?
Never tried nitrating. Remnants of the back end of the cartridge are usually left in the chamber, and I usually just pick them out between shots. Sometimes I forget to pick them out between shots, but they still shoot just fine so far. I’ve also only had hangfires with them when I was using homemade caps, and I think once when it was loaded for an extended amount of time.

Here are some paper cartridges I’ve recently made for my Walker from gift tissue paper. I usually use the white kind, but now that Christmas is coming up I got the idea to try the other colors. Thought it looked interesting. Merry Christmas!
So, are you preparing for venison on the roof or stopping an elf from gaining illegal entry through the chimney/fireplace? ‘Tis the season.

Very festive.

Remember this is a Walker that he is making these cartridges for. How would un-nitrated tissue paper cartridges work in something with smaller chambers like a 1851 Navy?
I played around with it in a .36 with mixed results. Just my experience and maybe it works for others. I had issues with remnants in the chambers in the cylinder that caused problems more than I liked. Again just my experience and I was probably doing something to cause it.

Thank's for sharing. Now we know that when the proper paper used as has been recorded here of over a decade isn't available, we can bubba up gift wrap to work.
(as long as we pick out the big chunks)
Honest, nice job on the wrapping/forming.,, maybe a "little" heavy on the wax(?)

Last edited:
I played around with it in a .36 with mixed results. Just my experience and maybe it works for others. I had issues with remnants in the chambers in the cylinder that caused problems more than I liked. Again just my experience and I was probably doing something to cause it.
Myself as well. Made some for my 44. The force jammed unburnt paper into the nipple fire channel. I mean forced it into it. Nipple pick would not push it out. Now when I made my first batch I simply twisted the ends and inserted them into the chambers. I believe the major cause was the quantity of paper with the twisted end, unburnt.

Thank's for sharing. Now we know that when the proper paper used as has been recorded here of over a decade isn't available, we can bubba up gift wrap to work.
(as long as we pick out the big chunks)
Honest, nice job on the wrapping/forming.,, maybe a "little" heavy on the wax(?)
Probably a bit overkill on the wax… I tried two coatings instead of one this to make sure they stayed together when handling them. One coating works just fine too.

Latest posts

Back