• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christened the .50cal Dickert this afternoon with this 8 pointer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Christened the .50cal Dickert late this afternoon with this 8 pointer that came cruising for Does.

He was quartering towards me from the right front through the trees and brush, and then at about 50yds he turned quartering slightly up away to my left. Light was going fast in the woods which still have most of their leaves and I wouldn’t be able to see the sight if I waited much longer, so it was the only and best shot I was going to get...slipped the ball in just behind the rear most rib and it plowed forward through the lungs/heart.

The muzzle flash was blinding in the low light and I never saw which way he’d bolted”¦by the time I’d cleaned the Flintlock the last few minutes of light were gone so there was no point in reloading. I leaned the rifle against a tree and went to the spot he was standing, sure enough blood right there, started to follow it and he'd only sprinted 20 yards and piled up.

90grns Goex 3F / .022" pillow ticking / Hornady .490"

Good solid body on this buck...the needy family I gave him to was delighted and they were getting things pulled together to start skinning him even before I drove away.

A00211011150calDickert8Pointer.jpg

I was wondering what was taking so long this year :haha:
Grats, Nice buck! :hatsoff:

Congratulations on a nice buck taken with a flintlock. What a nice way to break in a new rifle.

Nice buck and rifle. :thumbsup:

Gun hunting for deer is still two weeks away up here. I`m gettin the itch bad. I just hope work slows down enough by then so I can hunt.

Nice shooting!! Ya have to like it when they they don't go far. I wish some of the folks that Shill for those !@#$# would realize how effective a .50 cal. round ball is on deer sized game.

Christened the .50cal Dickert late this afternoon with this 8 pointer that came cruising for Does.

I bought this Dickert used a couple years ago, and it sort of took on a life of its own as a good project rifle.

It was originally a .45cal but the straight 7/8"x42" barrel just weighed a ton and was terribly nose heavy.
Very accurate at the range but no way I could carry / still hunt it for any length of time.
To lighten it some, I had Ed Rayl barrel co. in West VA. rebore/rerifle it to a .50cal and to use round bottom grooves...lightened it a half pound out front and made it much more huntable....and still shoots like a laser along with the other benefits of round bottom grooves.

By then, I'd experienced the Chamber's Deluxe Siler on a Virginia, so I had Jim Chambers / Dale Johnson upgrade the large siler lock to a deluxe siler.

The only thing left was to try and improve the looks of the stock and had that done.

So I learned a lot of things upgrading this Dickert and its one heck of a rifle...very fast, very accurate, and just hammered that 8 pointer...here's how it turned out:

A-011811DickertRightFullCompleted.jpg

B-011811DickertLeftFullCompleted-1.jpg

Congrats! Nice deer and rifle. Sharing with the needy, what a great way to give thanks for our many blessings. Your tops in my book Roundball. :applause:

Back