• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

char cloth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody post a video on what is char punk wood and how to find it and char it. Lik the idea bettr than char cloth. I need to see some things.
This is “punky” wood. Rotten and very spongy. It’s usually quite wet when I find it. I let it dry out before making char punk.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.MOV
    31.9 MB
OK, I see that all the time. How to turn to Char for fire making kit?

And THANKS fr the excellent video. Appreciated.
Same as char cloth. Put in a closed tin with a small hole in the top for smoke to escape and lay on the fire until smoke stops coming out. I use an old Seresto dog collar tin with a chunk of steel on top to keep the lid from coming g off.

I use a couple of round tins for making char. The thrift stores are loaded with small tins suitable for making char cloth. When I grill out, that is a great opportunity to make a couple more batches of char cloth.
Ohio Rusty ><>
char.JPG

Ah ha! Altoids are a brand of mints, sold primarily in distinctive metal tins. The brand was created by the London-based Smith & Company in the 1780s, and became part of the Callard & Bowser company in the 19th century. Their advertising slogan is "The Original Celebrated Curiously Strong Mints", referring to the high concentration of peppermint oil used in the original flavour lozenge. The mints were originally conceived as a lozenge intended to relieve intestinal discomfort.

I've personally used a Cash tinderbox for decades, and have no problem with char breaking up. I also have an antique pocket ashtray that works very well.

I've had a Cash tinderbox (oval type with magnifying glass) for decades and Char cloth never breaks up in it, Flint and Steel with "bulls wool" all packed in too.
Frankly I rate Ted Cash's gear top rung, my adult daughter birthday gifted me a new Ted Cash Percussion cap dispenser, its the most "jim dandy" and practical period tool a guy could ever wish for.

Kinda relieved I dont have to carry percussion caps around under my tongue anymore.....

TDC .jpg

Attachments

• TDC 2.jpg
    TDC 2.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use an old Seresto collar tin to make the char cloth, then divvy it up between fire kits for the kids. They have fero rods in their kits and a flint and steel in a separate tin

"I use an old Seresto collar tin to make the char cloth....) we've got them here Down Under too, they make great tins for storing Char cloth, burn off the paint and then japan them for authenticity if desired.

I make my Char cloth in bulk then store it in tins.

I've had a Cash tinderbox (oval type with magnifying glass) for decades and Char cloth never breaks up in it, Flint and Steel with "bulls wool" all packed in too.
Frankly I rate Ted Cash's gear top rung, my adult daughter birthday gifted me a new Ted Cash Percussion cap dispenser, its the most "jim dandy" and practical period tool a guy could ever wish for.

Kinda relieved I dont have to carry percussion caps around under my tongue anymore.....

View attachment 233534
I've never had it break up in a Cash tinderbox, either. Something that surprised me recently, a friend who has been buckskinning and known Tedd as long as I have, never realized he could use the magnifying glass to ignite his tinder!

I think in Jeremiah Johnson he is using a tin that Ted Cash presently makes. The tin that has a hinged top where 2/3 of the top opens. (Too lazy to take a pic.)
And I'd bet he is using punk wood. He can be seen trying to strike a spark into the tin, which is how I've always used punk wood when playing with F&S. I leave it in the tin and push my bird's nest on top of it when I see embers.

Here’s an old pic from when I first put my fire kit together…

The Ted Cash box holds my char cloth. The leather wrap has two pockets, one for my flint & one for my steel..
Then the box is rolled up in the wrap & secured with a leather tong…

No problem with crushed char, as long as the box is kept fairly full..

A26C2850-14B5-409E-8F86-9C387B05AFFA.jpeg

I use a couple of round tins for making char. The thrift stores are loaded with small tins suitable for making char cloth. When I grill out, that is a great opportunity to make a couple more batches of char cloth.
Ohio Rusty ><>
View attachment 233295

If you drill the hole in the side of the lid rather than on the top, you can twist the lid closed when carrying the char in order to keep moisture out.

Latest posts

Back