• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

char cloth again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pab1 said:
The OP was asking whether jean material works for char cloth.

The OP has probably spent more time typing and reading replies than it would have taken him to actually make some char cloth from his blue jean material and test it.... :haha:

Anytime I wonder if something will char, it goes in a can and gets charred.... Simple solutions for simple problems.... :v

spudnut said:
Does blue jeans material work for char? Ive got a bunch of them I am gonna toss.what else can I use it for,cleaning patches? shooting patches?

Try it for char and see how you like it. I find blue jeans too thick and not absorbent enough to make good cleaning patches. Also, usually too thick for my shooting patches.

I also don't like them as cleaning rags because of the huge hemmed seams and stiffness.

The legs do make nice shooting bags (sand bags) though.

Rendezvous flint and steel competitions are great for entertaining tourists....But if you want a real competition, take away the charcloth....Take away as much as you can. [/quote]

:thumbsup: we often enter the woods at least as well prepared for what we are likely to run in to on the trail and emergencies as may come up along the line. Most of the time we’re better prepared. A part of our sport isis learning how to use the stuff they used back then; in the way they used it. Another aspect of our sport is the knowledge.
I don’t want to pull on my great coat grab a rifle and a knife and run out in to -20 degree weather to see if I can make it through the night. I do want the knowledge and the experience that I think I might survive such a situation even though it’s very unlikely that would ever happen to me.

I'd probably fry my nuts off....,

I'd try that white oak Bark-n-dirt trick that Mark Baker talks about, sitting cross-legged over the embers enclosed in dirt, with the blanket over your outside to keep all the heat in.... :redface: :shocked2:

LD

Well the results are in :hatsoff: It works just fine takes a spark pretty good,hot and slow burning

spudnut said:
Well the results are in :hatsoff: It works just fine takes a spark pretty good,hot and slow burning
Hey that's great! Have you figured out how to get an actual fire burning with your hot/slow burning char cloth?
I mean you finally got past the goal of catching a spark with random cloth. I only ask because this topic has gone way past olde bluejeans,, :idunno:

necchi said:
spudnut said:
Hey that's great! Have you figured out how to get an actual fire burning with your hot/slow burning char cloth?
I mean you finally got past the goal of catching a spark with random cloth. I only ask because this topic has gone way past olde bluejeans,, :idunno:

Not spudnut but blue jean char cloth has worked extremely well starting fires for me. Its worked far better with a bundle of wood shavings than thinner cloth materials. With a typical grass "birds nest" it results in a fast fire. Give it a try, you'll like it! :thumbsup:

Too many people get caught up in saying something won't work because they've heard it said so many times by others without actually trying it themselves. If something is repeated often enough it becomes "common knowledge". The only problem is that so many who claim "this or that" doesn't work are often only repeating what they've heard or read.

One example is how unreliable flintlocks are and how ineffective roundballs are on game. Talk to people who have never used them and they'll state it as fact. Those of us who spend time using them know better.

Slightly off topic ,but I have to ask....

Am I the only one that uses charred punkwood?

I' mean my kits do contain various things, but I love punkwood.

I'll have a tinder box but, I also have a burning lens and flint and steel. In my kit I will have charred punkwood, some charcloth, fatwood, sulfur splints, some kind of fine plant fiber ususally jute, sisal or baler twine. I also like having some charcoal around camp...charcoal is extremely useful.

There is so much more than just charcloth.

Colorado Clyde said:
Am I the only one that uses charred punkwood?
No - I have charred punkwood and shelf fungus in my kit to catch sparks. I keep a couple pieces of charcloth in a tin for emergency purposes.

I mean you finally got past the goal of catching a spark with random cloth. I only ask because this topic has gone way past olde bluejeans,, :idunno: [/quote]
Ive been making flint and steel fires thirty years, Just never tried blue jeans, Had a big stack staring at me and just thought Id ask,unlike some I cant just build a fire whenever I want and char or forge or throw pointy things at logs,this darn corn puter is about my only link to my passion so this is how I entertain myself

Those jeans might have some value. talking with a young lady that was wearing a pair of blue jeans that resembled a pair I had at home (several years old and probably worn a hundred times, ripped and worn across the front). So I told her I had a pair that resembled hers, but it took me three years to get them that way. A young man across from her asked if she had bought them that way-her reply "Yes.". Wife's niece had a pair, said they cost well over $100 in a specialty shop. :confused:

I asked my teen aged grandson about wearing a pair of jeans with holes in the knees yesterday. I had been working on my truck and that is hard on clothing. I suggested I was in style and he just rolled his eyes. He has bought the holie jeans and wasn't interested in mine.

Bo T said:
Those jeans might have some value. talking with a young lady that was wearing a pair of blue jeans that resembled a pair I had at home (several years old and probably worn a hundred times, ripped and worn across the front). So I told her I had a pair that resembled hers, but it took me three years to get them that way. A young man across from her asked if she had bought them that way-her reply "Yes.". Wife's niece had a pair, said they cost well over $100 in a specialty shop. :confused:
These are far from fashionable Theyre a size 56 waist cargo jeans,lol know any fat ass fashionistas...lol

Latest posts

Back