• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chain firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ T Frizzen said:
Right. You don't mention what diameter ball you use, but something is really wrong with this picture. Either the laws of physics are in abeyance in your neighborhood or you have oval chambers or Lord knows what. If you are shaving nice even lead rings when you seat the balls then magic is afoot here. All I can say is that I've been shooting C&B revolvers since I was eleven and I have fired thousands of rounds and I have yet to have a chain fire. I'll stick with my loading methods and my properly sized components and not worry about chainfires. And if I were you I'd be real careful about firing a revolver with out capping all the charged chambers--new hands are hard to come by! But if you are into new experiences, this is one you'll long remember....

.454 balls. IF you'd read my earlier posts you'd know I started shooting this gun when I was 12. I had all six chambers go off together so many times back then it ain't funny so I'm not afraid of chain fires. Maybe the chambers are out of round but it does shave a nice ring and is one of my most accurate guns. I've been reading posts ever since I've been here about how chain fires originate at the nipple end and I knew it wasn't so, but being the adventerous Darwinistic fool that I am I tried it with fully loaded chambers and only capping one nipple at a time just to prove to myself what I already knew. Maybe it is something funny with this particular gun, I dunno. I just know what I know. I have other bp revolvers and have forgotten to lube balls and they didn't chain but this sucker will do it almost every time if you don't. You said you'd never had one so I guess that makes you an authority on them. I know I'm right and you know you're right so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and drop the discussion. :v

I use .457's in my colts, they seem to be more accuarate, and shave of a thicker ring of lead. and I ALWAYS lube. haven't had a chainfire with my 1860 armies ever, and none in the walker since changing those nipples. and I hope my luck continues! a walker with 50 or 60 grains in each cylinder is quite a handfull when it chainfires!

mykeal,

The last time that I heard those words, "post hoc......." was on a West Wing episode :haha: . Makes me want to get out the multi-DVD set I got for Christmas and play some tonight! Thanks, and, oh, by-the-way, I'm with you! I don't like surprises, so I use wads!

Dave

having all chambers fire at once is very rare - something is VERY obviously wrong there. I've never had a chainfire (hope never do) and I have known for sure that uncapped chambers will cause it. always use the right size caps and seat them well onto the nipples. and use the right size balls/slugs also.

Try .457 balls. After you've seated one, pull it. If it doesn't have an even shank all the way around then your chamber is out of round. That would explain things very nicely.

Russ T Frizzen said:
Try .457 balls. After you've seated one, pull it. If it doesn't have an even shank all the way around then your chamber is out of round. That would explain things very nicely.

I'm not worried about it, at least not enough to buy another mold. As long as I keep it lubed it does fine. If it does happen to chain it's no big deal.

I use a mixture of beeswax and Murphy's Oil. It doesn't melt. I had a chainfire once when I forgot to lube the balls. Three cylinders went off at once. At 25 yds I put two holes in the paper with that chain fire. I kid you not. Doesn't happen often, but in two years I've had it happen four times. Each time when no lube was on the ball. I once had a chainfire and the cap on one of the cylinders that chained did not fire. Still had the green stuff inside.

Back